• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

480F brakes

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Wat other axle aditive can i use since i dont have a near by case dealer. Can i get a substitute at a local auto parts store?

What oil do you intend to use then? - Hy-Trans Ultra is specially made for Case & there is no exact substitute for it.
Not saying that you can't put any other oil in it, just saying what I know that works.
Do you have a Cat dealer nearby?

It may help to start a new thread, as more people may look at it & it saves confusion when trying to refer to this in the future, - you should be able to do that now.

Last edited:

alrman

Occupation
I have the john deere hy guard i changed my trannie fluid with that. I was gonna use that too for my axles or thats a no no?

I can't really say as I have never used JD hy-gard oil. By looking at the JD website & looking at what it is used for - it may do the job :beatsme
It says its good for wet brakes - :beatsme - your call I guess.
If I put it in & noise was still there - I would be having some CNH oil & additive sent to me.......from somewhere.

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Brake Housing and Seals

Brake Housing.JPGI'm attempting to load a picture of the brake housing on the right side. It's loose with the shims hanging inside it. I have it removed and had it resurfaced by the machine shop before re-installing.

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Those brake discs from case are $121.00. RAParts has them for $73.00. Has anyone had problems with aftermarket parts. Would you recommend OEM parts only?

alrman

Occupation
Some aftermarket parts are fine & some are just rubbish, I've had both. Brake discs should be OK - Guess you will know in time.
Re: machine shop job on the brake housing - did they remove some steel from the outside flange as well as the disc area?

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Nope they didn't remove any metal from that flange. Now that you mention it that makes sense. Wonder how to get the proper measurement to have that done? Any idea what problems this would cause?

Thanks in advance for any reply

alrman

Occupation
Nope they didn't remove any metal from that flange. Now that you mention it that makes sense. Wonder how to get the proper measurement to have that done? Any idea what problems this would cause?

Machine shop should have removed same amount of material from outside edge of housing as they did at the brake disc area.
The brake actuator is limited as how far it can expand before the ball bearings in it run off their ramps & cause brake lock up. It may work for a while with new discs but it will take only a little amount of wear to cause this problem.
I've never figured the clearance in those housings - but you could get it by stripping the other side brake or someone reading this may have one apart & measure for you ;)
Like I said in post#2 I don't like to machine these, as things can get messed up & I have to warrant my repairs - so I spend the $$ on new parts.:rolleyes:

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Thanks Willie59. I'll give them a call. Probably be after Labor Day getting an order in now.

trevor b

Bbob i just orderd parts from joseph industries orderd on tues arrived thurs 10am ohio to ontario canada cost here$1300.00 cost from them $500.00 very nice to deal with t

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
I have the other side stripped except for removing the housing airman. I'll get the measurement that way and make a second trip to the machine shop. Plan on calling Joseph Ind. First thing Tuesday morning trevor b. Are they a good source for the seals too? Thanks

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Brake disc part number

I'm having problems finding the part number for the brake disc. I'm talking about the disc with the brake lining on it. Would anyone have an idea ?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm having problems finding the part number for the brake disc. I'm talking about the disc with the brake lining on it. Would anyone have an idea ?

Are you talking about item #16 in diagram? That's part #1349141C2

Case 480F brake housing.gif

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Got my housings back from the machine shop with the flanges machined to match the inner surfaces. I've found a place that might reline and bond new brake lining to the worn ones with any thickness i specify but i can't get those measurements from Case of course so i'm guessing.

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Another question on re-assembling the brakes.is it common to remove a shim or two as the bearings and gears wear? I still have a little movement in the side shafts when I tighten the housings down. Machine has 3600hrs.

alrman

Occupation
Another question on re-assembling the brakes.is it common to remove a shim or two as the bearings and gears wear? I still have a little movement in the side shafts when I tighten the housings down. Machine has 3600hrs.

Yes, it is good to assemble those carriers so there is pre-load on the bearings. If you alter the shim pack on the LHS you will affect the backlash. To tighten up the pre-load shims need to be pulled from RHS. With a little pre-load you must still have .006" - .011" backlash at the crownwheel & pinion.
I hope you haven't mixed the LH & RH thrust washers between the 2 side gears & cross shaft, they are different thicknesses.

alrman

Occupation

Yes, it is good to assemble those carriers so there is pre-load on the bearings. If you alter the shim pack on the LHS you will affect the backlash. To tighten up the pre-load shims need to be pulled from RHS. With a little pre-load you must still have .006" - .011" backlash at the crownwheel & pinion.
I hope you haven't mixed the LH & RH thrust washers between the 2 side gears & cross shaft, they are different thicknesses.