• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

480F brakes

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Hello everyone,

This is my first post so go easy on me. I have this machine for farm use and i am trying to take my time and do the brakes right. Several questions i have about the process:

1. Do i have to drop the transaxle to get the inner brake housing off? Evidently the seals are bad on the side the differential lock is mounted to.

2. Can i have the inner brake housing resurfaced. There is some scoring but the grooves aren't deep.

3. The left side brake was working but grabbed badly and sounded like metal against metal. When i removed the outer cover for that side there was plenty of dust but the brake discs were ok. A mechanic told me the springs on the bendix type discs would weaken over time causing the grabbing but that doesn't explain things.

It has the dry type brake with the vent hose connections on top and the actuators cylinders are in good shape.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome Bbob!
1) Can't recall doing this on a 480, but it can be done on all 580's without lowering the transaxle - I always assumed a 480 chassis was similar to a 580C (you know what they say about people who assume.....)
There are small seals in the side gear for the diff lock - see this thread it's re a 580C - same set up - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?24017-Case-580C-(Extendahoe)-restoration/page2
2) I have never had a housing resurfaced, dimensions inside the housing are critical - only ever replaced them when real bad.
3) Sometimes giving the housing a good clean & clearing that dust makes a big difference - good to deglaze the actuator & covers with some rough emery paper or mini sanding discs.
+ make sure the balls in the actuators have clean ramps - no rust/scale

mitch504

Alrman, is it practical to do brakes on a 580 superK (shifter on the side console) without removing transaxle, or would it be easier to pull it?

mitch504

Ok, that's what I thought, you just said all 580s in your earlier post. I thought maybe I had missed something, thanks.

alrman

Occupation
Ok, that's what I thought, you just said all 580s in your earlier post. I thought maybe I had missed something, thanks.

Sorry Mitch, I probably should have said - "all 580's with the early transaxle configeration" (up to early 580K )

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Seal bad on side where diff lock mounts to? I assume we're talking about seal #3?

Case 480F brake housing.gif

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Seal bad on side where diff lock mounts to? I assume we're talking about seal #3?

View attachment 83048

Actually that seal plus the seal inside the side shaft could be the problem i'm finding.

I couldn't get the side shaft seal out so i'm planning on installing another in front of it. I had to take the transaxle loose and raise the machine with the stab jacks to get enough clearance ro remove the inner brake housing.

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Need part numbers

Could someone point me to the illustrations like the one listed above that have the part numbers listed? I was able to click on a link someone provided before but i haven't been able to find it on the site again. Thx

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
www.casece.com

Place mouse cursor on the Parts and Service link at toolbar near top of page. Click on Search for Parts in the drop down menu. Click on Launch Parts Catalog, just above and left of video demonstration. When parts page opens, type in your machine model number.

godinez575

Hello fellas i just bought a 2006 case sm 2 and when i press on the breaks they squeal im new to all this guys any help will surely be apreciated thanks

alrman

Occupation
Welcome godinez575!

Problem could just be oil. What does it look like?
Use Case Hy-trans Ultra & 1 bottle of axle rebuid additive from your CNH dealer.

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Well, I am to the point of replacing seals and I read somewhere that I could get by without pulling the axle on my 480f to replace the cross shaft seal by just driving another one in on top of the old one. Has anyone tried this? Thx

alrman

Occupation
Yes, another seal can be fitted on top of the other, as long as it hasn't been done already. An installation tool is required to fit the seal - usually a bit of steel or pvc tubing the right size.
The original seal can be removed without removing the housing. I have earlier descibed a tool made from an old shut down cable. It is pushed through, between shaft & seal, rotated 90deg to hook the seal casing & given a firm pull & out they come. ;)

Attachments

• diff lock tool.jpg
    diff lock tool.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 273
  • diff lock tool 1.jpg
    diff lock tool 1.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 267

Bbob

Occupation
Government worker
Great! I was thinking that you were the one who had written about this earlier but wasn't sure airman. Using a flashlight I can see enough smooth space beyond the splines for another seal but if I can fabricate a tool that nice I'll dig the old one out. Really appreciate all the replies.

godinez575

Wat other axle aditive can i use since i dont have a near by case dealer. Can i get a substitute at a local auto parts store?