• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

40Ton American at work

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Conventional friction truck cranes of about that size put together a lot of steel buildings around here. I don't know if that one has a torque converter, I know the bigger Americans with converters were very smooth.

Tugger

Yes the 40 t0n has a torque.it works well when you stall it a bit with another function,you can very precise when lowering or booming down.Its too bad theres such a stigma on conventional cranes on jobsites these days.You can rebuild them over and over,they burn very little fuel.and can perform many different jobs that hydraulics cant ,.All things considered its really hard to increase my carbon footprint running one of these old beasts.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Around here, they would just road that type crane from job to job, or back to the shop. Do you haul it most of the time, and if so, why haul it instead of drive it?

Operator4100

Man did that picture bring back some memories, I drove a lot of H pile with a drop hammer years ago , you got to have good timing while driving or talk about screwing up a hoist line real fast, thanks for the pictures of the good old times

Tugger

Yes Mowingman I lowbed most of the time distances and hills make it more efficient.If I drive I need to use my lowbed for the counterweight anyhow as well as go thru the motions of removing and putting it back on.I haul enough boom on my goose neck trailer for 90 feet ,then ive got a pickup on the job to.
Know what you mean 4100,practice makes perfect.Even then if you don't redo the eye on the hammer every couple of days you still can get a lap full of cable in the cab,not a huge deal on a small crane like this,but a real pain having to lay down and redo the eye in the middle of a jobsite.P3141195.JPG