• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

40Ton American at work

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
OK- question from someone who is not familiar with the process. How do you get the boat on the dry dock?:confused:

Tugger

The cradle runs on 5 rails.Its hauled by a double drum winch,one line hauls up the others hauls back down.1'' line 8 parts on the main 7/8'' on the haulback 6 parts .The vessel is measured by some very talent ship guys to get the hull shape right .blocking is then set to conform to the hull.The cradle is lowered to acomadate the the vessels draught ,its floated in blocks adjusted and winched up.Usually they are repaired and relaunched,this boat was a deralict in danger of sinking.The company I was working for was awarded a contract by the government to decommission and dispose of this once proud ship.Lots of hazmat work and a bunch of plasma and torch work.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The cradle runs on 5 rails.Its hauled by a double drum winch,one line hauls up the others hauls back down.1'' line 8 parts on the main 7/8'' on the haulback 6 parts .The vessel is measured by some very talent ship guys to get the hull shape right .blocking is then set to conform to the hull.The cradle is lowered to acomadate the the vessels draught ,its floated in blocks adjusted and winched up.Usually they are repaired and relaunched,this boat was a deralict in danger of sinking.The company I was working for was awarded a contract by the government to decommission and dispose of this once proud ship.Lots of hazmat work and a bunch of plasma and torch work.

Thanks for the lowdown Tugger.:thumbsup

Keep it coming.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Nice looking old crane, it must have been really well looked after all these years. I remember the 40T's and 50T's being a real bear to work on because everything was stuffed into a smaller space than the larger Americans.

Mark13

Cranes, Ships, and Landing Craft? Yep, you're going to need to keep posting pictures.

Tugger

Some pictures of the 40 ton at work. An easy vibro job on the lake and then a workout with the drop hammer on some h piles for a building foundation. We are back at the yard resting now.

Attachments

• P3211211.JPG
    P3211211.JPG
    587.3 KB · Views: 53
  • P4051225.JPG
    P4051225.JPG
    692 KB · Views: 53

Tugger

I gotta say my favorite is a Vulcan air hammer. I can say that now because its been years since we ve used one and forgotton the noise,broken parts and fuel bills for those 900 compressors.

Tugger

sorry I clicked too many times.And no the boom isn't bent,i put a link in the top pins to lower it a bit and stay underheight on the lowbed.Its an easy way to bring 10 more feet of boom to the site.