• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

339a DOST

classictruckman

Occupation
Tree Climber/339A Crane Operator

classictruckman

Occupation
Yeah it's pretty much the same idea, but the conventional crane will be more extensive, it will include things like the clutches, brakes, dawgs and pawls, all of the linkages.

dreamscape

OK, do they expect the crane operators to be able to actually put the lattice boom together over here? In the UK, it's done by the fitters who work for the company that own the crane. They may well use the crane operator to help, but he would not be leading the exercise. The fitters are then responsible for signing the crane off as "ready to work". Does any of that sound familiar?! Thats my worst fear- I turn up and they say I have to build the crawler boom up!

dreamscape

Hey- Passed! Sorry, been miles away. Trying to get AZ done in the mean time. Do you have any advice for the Red Seal, I'm looking to sit that next week. I got Mobile Craning Today, it's got a fair but in it about double crane lifts, is there quite a few questions on that? Also, calculating the weight of loads, ie steel lengths etc? I know theres a fair bit on load charts- again

Do they give you the shape equations or are you expected to now your math!?

classictruckman

Occupation
I don't remember much about tandem lifts, maybe simple questions like which crane lifts first?, simple load calculations for each crane, etc.

You are expected to know your math(it's relatively simple stuff), if your like me you'll get a question on calculating the weight of Portland concrete, so it would be a good idea to study up a bit on cu. weights.

One thing to remember going into the test: each question is only worth 1point so don't spend a long time on the longer questions, leave them to the end and do all the short easy ones first. My dad made the mistake of going after the hard ones first.

And make sure to read the whole question before you answer it, I remember one question where it gives you all the dimensions and cu. weight for a steel tank and then asks for the weight of the water inside it.

Last edited:

dreamscape

Do they expect you to know the weight per cubic foot of each material, or do they give you a list? I've readinf Mobile Craning Today and they've got a fair bit in there on how to work out where the lifting points for a tandem lift need to be based around net capacity of each crane, the weight of the load, the length of the load etc.

Do they give you the list of weights for wire rope diameter per foot of line? When I did the load chart test this time round, none of the questions required you to calculate taking the rope into account as load. I had memorized from 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 just in case!

classictruckman

Occupation
I would try to remember the weight of steel, Portland concrete, water, and spruce lumber. They do give you the weight of wire rope when it's necessary, I think.

If you know your stuff the test isn't difficult. Like I said do the easy ones first and read the whole question before answering.

dreamscape

Another delayed reply- sorry! But the good news was that I passed the Red Seal and AZ! Back in the UK at the moment and returning to Toronto mid November.

Souza

what type of mobile crane they test for 339a DOST

when you get tested on the 793local what type of mobile crane they test you on for 339a DOST

Souza

lattice boom crane and a hydraulic

lattice boom crane and a hydraulic they will test you on both or only on hydraulic boom?