• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

339a DOST

classictruckman

Occupation
Tree Climber/339A Crane Operator
My wife thinks I play with too many cranes on the weekend, what do you guys think?

I am doing my 339a demonstration of skilld test on friday, do you guys have any good advice?

Attachments

• Jul10_0001.jpg
    Jul10_0001.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 928

shipman

Don't forget to put some pop on ice for after, and maybe the wife would like to play with the cranes to? Good luck with both!!

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
I did mine back in Morrisberg ..

Im trying to remember ..the Pre-op inspection was a big deal
they wouldnt let you at the crane if you couldnt do a proper pre-operation inspection ..which makes sense really
pass the pre-op

I had tires and cages and concrete blocks ..a small block on the hook ..

determine weight of object..mine wasnt stamped ..it was 1500lbs ..but the trick was i had to ask the examiner the weight before continuing ..he didnt have the answer LOL .. portland concrete is about 150lb's/cuft.. tape measure ..and a quick calculation

inspect area
determine max radius,and net capacity
select proper boom lenght to preform hoisting,
set up the crane as per OSHA reg

then run a concrete block through the gaunlet in under 5 minutes
care and control of the load ..dont rub the object on anything..its points thats all
Last set was right next to the outrigger beam and pad on the rear..
boom way up swing it around and set it next to your pad ..touch the crane with the load ..a guy fail's..

thats the jest...

Pick my brain man ..its been a while ..

classictruckman

Occupation
well I'm testing in my own yard, with one other guy on the 22B in the picture, the concrete block I'm using weighs about 2200 lbs. I know basically what I have to do because it wasn't very long ago that I did the 339c, but I was looking for advice like its faster to move slow between the tires rather than trying to recover from swinging fast, don't hit the guy, etc.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Care and control of the load..

don't get the load moving faster than your able to bring it to a complete and controlled stop..

If your like me you'll cast the ball a little ahead of the boom and sink the boom over it catching the ball stopping it dead..you know as well as i do its a knack ..based on experience,fimilarity to the machine,the weight of the load ,boom lenght config,weather,etc..

However ..by doing this the ball and load is not underneath the head of the boom..hence an argument can arise that your side loading or increasing the radius of the load needlessly with may cause an unsafe situation..

keep the load still and under the head of the boom ..smooth controlled motion ..you wont go wrong..the time wont be an issue through the course if a guy maintains complete command of the crane and load..not having to recover...

side note ..
when i was oil'n I asked my operator how he was able to always keep his load in shape.
his response was "dont let it get out of shape to start with"
I carry that to this day ..

If you nailed the 339c I really think you'll do OK with the 339A..it's the writen exam's that you'll need to get a leg up ..
You should be looking for Grove TMS300 series charts,Manitowoc charts, Lima charts,American Charts,link belt charts.All of those with the applicable notes..The notes is where alot of guys fail the written ..

dreamscape

Hi classictruckman

I'm returning to Canada from the UK after driving mobiles since 2005 and more recently crawlers, and am looking to sit the DOST after I pass the load chart test. Would you be able to tell me if they give you any advance notice on the make and model of crane that they test you on and is it 1 crane or 2 they test you on for the 339a?

If anyone else knows and could give me a heads up that'd be great.

Cheers

classictruckman

Occupation
I did the test on our own machines, took alot of teeth pulling but it can be done. for the demonstration of skills test they will likely put you on an old grove piece of junk, as far as the conventional I don't know.

Where are you located? isn't Bristol in Quebec?, I have no idea what to expect there.

Good Luck.

classictruckman

Occupation
Care and control of the load..

don't get the load moving faster than your able to bring it to a complete and controlled stop..

If your like me you'll cast the ball a little ahead of the boom and sink the boom over it catching the ball stopping it dead..you know as well as i do its a knack ..based on experience,fimilarity to the machine,the weight of the load ,boom lenght config,weather,etc..

However ..by doing this the ball and load is not underneath the head of the boom..hence an argument can arise that your side loading or increasing the radius of the load needlessly with may cause an unsafe situation..

keep the load still and under the head of the boom ..smooth controlled motion ..you wont go wrong..the time wont be an issue through the course if a guy maintains complete command of the crane and load..not having to recover...

side note ..
when i was oil'n I asked my operator how he was able to always keep his load in shape.
his response was "dont let it get out of shape to start with"
I carry that to this day ..

If you nailed the 339c I really think you'll do OK with the 339A..it's the writen exam's that you'll need to get a leg up ..
You should be looking for Grove TMS300 series charts,Manitowoc charts, Lima charts,American Charts,link belt charts.All of those with the applicable notes..The notes is where alot of guys fail the written ..

Look at this post for info on the load chart questions.

dreamscape

No that's Bristol on the UK! I'm going through the department in Toronto at the moment. Due to fly back out to Toronto early September. I've also found out I need to do the AZ licence to be able to drive (Taxi) the cranes on the road. In the UK you need the equivalent DZ licence.

It's all costing a fortune!

dreamscape

In the UK, the max gross vehicle weight for a rigid truck is 32t, like a dumper or concrete mixer truck. When I rang the OETICO, a heavy equipment union just outside Toronto who offer crane apprenticeships, he told me I had to have an AZ licence as a prerequisite. I know that they run heavy cranes round with dolly's so I assumed it was to do with that. You look like your running out of Ottawa, so I assume that you're talking about Ontario?

dreamscape

Oh, and you only need the rigid licence (class c in the UK, equivalent to DZ Canada) to drive cranes on the road regardless of gross road weight. Like you say you would need the AZ equivalent here (C+E) to pull the ballast and jib section round.

dreamscape

Hi

It's been a while. I'm over in Toronto at the moment. Passed my Load Chart Test and am in the middle of the AZ and have the DoST next week. Someone above was saying about the pre-op checks, don't suppose you know where I could find out what they are looking for/to check for?

Cheers

Mark