• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2016 Diesels? Duramax, Cummins or Powerstroke?

Favorite Diesel and why?

• 6.6L LML Duramax V8

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • 6.7L Scorpion Powerstroke V8

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 6.7L Cummins V6

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters

lantraxco

In my experience with the Dodge trucks and Cummins 5.9 12V diesel the payback was fairly quick, if you consider that I was able to put 300,000 on one truck with zero major repairs. Sold it still running fine so I don't know how much further it went. I did have to replace the clutch once, both front wheel bearing cartridges as it was a 4x4 and of course the serpentine belt and adjust the valves when the spirit moved me. Considering the longevity and the savings over time from the better fuel mileage I imagine breakeven was probably around year four. Since this was a 3500 dually if you compared a similar gas engine truck I would guess the gas rig would get about ten MPG average if you're honest. I got 17 to 19 depending on load, and for pure city driving 15. Newer engines I understand are nowhere near as efficient and trouble free.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I owned a 2003 Ram 3500 dually that I loved the drivetrain but the truck has something wrong constantly. I currently own a 2000 F550 and a 2006 F350. All are straight sticks and both trucks are worked harder than maybe they should. I bought the 550 with 140,000 miles on it. At 150,000 miles it dropped a piston and tore the engine up bad. I replaced it with a International "short bus" school bus engine from the same year with 125,00 miles. Changed oil pan and front timing cover only for correct fit in the 4 wheel drive. Found that previous owner had a chip that was set to max with out the Cat back exhaust system. That is probably what caused the piston failure. All has been good now. If I was going to buy a new 550 class truck I would take a real hard look at the International Terrastar. IAvailable with automatic only I was quoted about $74,000 with multi use flatbed, 4 door, 4 wheel drive. both air seats and all the options you can dream about. I would do more research on their engine if I was going to buy. A new F550 at my Ford dealer starts at $68,000 as a plain jane. But at them prices I would have to look at the gas engines real hard also. Guess I will keep what I got. None of them are worth anything on trade so may as well run them as long as possible.

ericscher

I have a 3/4 ton chevy with a 500" gas engine and a 1 ton chevy with a Duramax.

I never appreciated how much of a power advantage these diesels have over gasoline. Until now. Also, the purified pee you have to use (DEF) isn't as much of a pain as you'd expect.

I can't tell you which of the three are better, although I'd suspect that any of them would be fine.

I wouldn't buy one new though, not unless I could reasonably expect to be in business long enough to amortize it over 10 years.

I bought my SRW 1 Ton Chevy with the LML Duramax earlier this year. It's a 2011 and had 162,000 miles on it when I bought it, which means it was driven 40,000 miles a year. I'm guessing it was used by the original owner (a dealership) to pull a car hauler trailer from auctions.

I paid $25,000 for that truck and it pulls 18,000 pounds better than my 500" chevy pulls 12,000.