• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2016 Diesels? Duramax, Cummins or Powerstroke?

Favorite Diesel and why?

• 6.6L LML Duramax V8

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • 6.7L Scorpion Powerstroke V8

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 6.7L Cummins V6

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters

JGibson

Hey guys. I was wondering what you all like the best and why? 6.6L LML Duramax, 6.7L Scorpion Powerstroke or the 6.7L Cummins?

Last edited:

Delmer

Ask me again in 20 years when I might actually be considering one, but I'd go with the cummins offhand.

Please tell me that it's not a V6 though!

joispoi

Regular unleaded isn't too expensive these days. I'm with Delmer....ask me again in 20 years. :D

JGibson

The 6.7L cummins is a V6, but seeing that its a 6.7L in a V6, each cylinder is 1.1L, vs .84L per cylinder in the powerstroke and .825L in the duramax. I am a Duramax guy, love mine and think the GM trucks are all around great, but in the new trucks you can't ignore the torque in the cummins. I wouldn't buy a SRW cummins but love the 5500 and it is on my list of dream trucks haha. They are all good trucks and it really is just a matter of opinion. I love my truck and others love theres,I'm just curious as to which people like.

Delmer

As far as I can tell the 6.7 cummins is still a STRAIGHT/INLINE 6. The Ram 1500 has a light duty V6 "ecodiesel" dual overhead cam blah blah blah that I hope to never own, and pray to never work on.

lantraxco

E: None of the above. I've always had the desire to buy a brand new diesel dually someday, but the prices keep escalating and now with the need to deal with the diesel exhaust fluid, I'm plumb out of the notion. Good news is, with a little love and a little luck an older Dodge/cummins will outlive me :cool:

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Im with lantraxco. For what the new ones are and cost no way. Id rather put 30k into my 7.3 and drive it another 18 more years.

JDOFMEMI

Of those listed, the Cummins is the only way to go, in my opinion.

I have been hearing of a rash of broken crankshafts in the Ford 6.7. I don't have enough firsthand knowledge on the GM 6.6, but the Cummins seems to have the market for a true medium duty engine.

And by the way, it is as always an inline 6, with a torque advantage over the V-8 engines by design.

The Dodge downside used to be that the truck would fall apart around the engine, but they have really improved on that. I have a friend with a 2007 3500 4X4, and he drives it like it is a rental. It has about 440,000 miles on it, lots of dirt roads, lots of grossly overloaded trailers, and just generally hard use. I rode in it a while back, and while I expected a rattletrap, I was pleasantly surprised. There were some minor problems, but overall it was still in good shape and few rattles.
I have 200,000 mile Fords in worse shape.

On another note, I am trying out the 1/2 ton Dodge with the "EcoDiesel" 3.0L V-6. It only has 12,000 miles so far, but it runs good, has over 400# of torque, and is getting 26 to 28 miles per gallon. The fuel savings is enough to make the payment, at the rate I drive it. So far, I like it.

I will let people know what I think after it gets to 100,000 miles, and what I really think after 200,000. I remember I liked my 6.0L Ford when it was new as well.

Just remember, over its lifetime, you will likely spend more on fuel than the truck, so the mileage plays a huge roll in the total cost

JGibson

Sorry about that guys haha, never owned a cummins have some friends with them and thought they were V6. I can see what you guys mean. Even though I love diesel, the Tier 4 engines aren't attractive. Too bad they don't bring back better larger gas engines.

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
Of those listed, the Cummins is the only way to go, in my opinion.

I have been hearing of a rash of broken crankshafts in the Ford 6.7. I don't have enough firsthand knowledge on the GM 6.6, but the Cummins seems to have the market for a true medium duty engine.

And by the way, it is as always an inline 6, with a torque advantage over the V-8 engines by design.

The Dodge downside used to be that the truck would fall apart around the engine, but they have really improved on that. I have a friend with a 2007 3500 4X4, and he drives it like it is a rental. It has about 440,000 miles on it, lots of dirt roads, lots of grossly overloaded trailers, and just generally hard use. I rode in it a while back, and while I expected a rattletrap, I was pleasantly surprised. There were some minor problems, but overall it was still in good shape and few rattles.
I have 200,000 mile Fords in worse shape.

On another note, I am trying out the 1/2 ton Dodge with the "EcoDiesel" 3.0L V-6. It only has 12,000 miles so far, but it runs good, has over 400# of torque, and is getting 26 to 28 miles per gallon. The fuel savings is enough to make the payment, at the rate I drive it. So far, I like it.

I will let people know what I think after it gets to 100,000 miles, and what I really think after 200,000. I remember I liked my 6.0L Ford when it was new as well.

Just remember, over its lifetime, you will likely spend more on fuel than the truck, so the mileage plays a huge roll in the total cost

I've thought about a 1/2 ton ecodiesel since I do way more unloaded than loaded miles. I've also thought about the new titan coming out with a 5.0 v8 cummins. Any downsides to the ecodiesel.

Sorry about that guys haha, never owned a cummins have some friends with them and thought they were V6. I can see what you guys mean. Even though I love diesel, the Tier 4 engines aren't attractive. Too bad they don't bring back better larger gas engines.

5.9l and 6.7l cummins have always been I6. My hopped up 04 runs strong.
The epa loves ruining everything. ... they need to put some emission control on these pollutant gas engines and lay off diesels..

norite

I've got a 2008 duramax. Bought it because I get the discount from gm because my brother works there. I liked the old fords but wouldn't want a new one. I really liked the cummins diesel but as said before used to be the dodge trucks were not very good. I had a 2008 gas v8 ordered and saw my truck sitting on the lot. Hadn't had a diesel since my 82 gm 6.2. Took the duramax for a test ride, could not believe the power and acceleration, brought it back and asked my salesman if I could cancel my order and buy the diesel. Long story short they were ok with it and I have owned it ever since. Minor problems with p/s leak, batteries and heater/ac controls all fixed under warranty. Its been a good truck, seems every bit as powerful as new, sure is fun to pull out and pass someone and hammer it. This thing is amazing for starting in the winter, unless it is -25C or colder I don't even plug in the block heater, starts right away. Fuel mileage is good but not great. Need to get it painted, surface rust around the wheels and front of hood but still solid. I haven't changed the program in the computer, has more than enough power for me, would consider doing so if I could get better mileage. Use Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic since new, change oil every 5000k (3000m). All in all, I really like this truck and will keep driving it as long as it lasts.

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
Good tuning like some custom efilive tunes could greatly increase your fuel mileage.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I'd just buy a gas engine and be done with it. Even the smallest engines available have really large horsepower these days. Diesels are super expensive and a complicated mess.

I would love to see some numbers on when if ever you will see payback on one of these modern diesels

lantraxco

Yeah, the newer ones, not. My Dad is still driving his 1997 dually with the 6BT 12 valve mechanical and a five speed, got a quarter million miles and still gets 20 mpg on the highway. Pretty goos service.

Turbo_Drive

The cummins is a great engine but Im just not a fan of what it's in. I had really bad luck outa the dodges I've had experience with. It seemed like everything but the motor gave us problems, especially the transmission, it would over heat in a second when towing a Dozer, ended up dropping a manual 6 speed in and took care of that problem. It maybe a different story now though, that was 10 years ago. We had a couple of chevy 3500 4x4 trucks with the 6.6 lb7 and lly back then too, mostly stayed in and outa the woods pulling dozers and they hardly ever had to come in for anything besides regular maintenance. I bought a new chevy 2500 duramax a couple of years ago and have been very impressed so far, especially since I had it custom tuned and did the full delete on it. I had looked at the fords but I knew they had problems with the early 6.7 motors, they were supposed to have all the bugs worked outa them but just didn't wanna chance it.

jelfert

I have a 2011 F-450 6.7 4x4 Lariat. Never had a single problem with it and have towed 30k with it and my 22k+ 43 ft 5th wheel RV. I change transmission fluid more often (30k instead of 60k). I only use this truck to tow and it has 60k miles on it. It has more power than anyone will ever need. I had a 2003 dodge 3500 with 5.9 cummins and I loved it that truck. 6 speed manual and no emissions what so ever. The reason I went with Ford was because I didn't like the EGR re-circulation system the 2011 Dodge had. It is bad on the turbo and the fuel mileage was poor. And.... i wanted a 450/4500 sized truck truck with a pick up bed. Now they are all DEF so that is out of the equation. I love my truck but I wouldn't hesitate at another dodge. Chevy/GMC are out of the question - i like a big truck with solid front axle! The prices on these trucks is just mind boggling. I bought mine new in late 2011 for $50k. Sticker was over $60k. Now, $60 gets you a lightly optioned 3/4 ton. I'm never selling my truck so it better last. i don't want to spend that money again on a pick up truck.

Oh, one plus with dodge is the suspension options... Air bags is a big plus. The heavy duty aisin is a great transmission too.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I loved my old 5.9 24v, not keen on he 6.7, and really not keen on the new line up of truck engines. Too much emissions control and potential for problems, for me anyway.
My old Chevy 6.5 diesel gets way better mileage than any new truck, and to be fair, my 6.0 is t too shabby either. The best bit, I'm making money, not payments.

mxsledder

Recently I've owned a 2010 Cummins and a 2015 gmc Denali duramax. Both have been extremely good trucks, couldn't say which one I like better. Also mileage has been nearly identical.

I'd just buy a gas engine and be done with it. Even the smallest engines available have really large horsepower these days. Diesels are super expensive and a complicated mess.

I would love to see some numbers on when if ever you will see payback on one of these modern diesels

I don't think you will ever see the day when you will recover the extra cost of the diesel option, when you start getting close to recovering some thing will go wrong and with the diesel and it will cost a fortune!
The times you should have a diesel is if you do a lot of heavy towing, We tow a trailer with 14000 pounds on board and the diesel Duramax with its engine brake and lots of torque does a real good job!

I don't think the Chev is the best pickup but the Chev diesel engine is the best for being more like a gas engine to drive!