• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2008 volvo ec140cl slow right track and bucket curl

ROPecht

The 600 you're seeing, that's pilot oil. So if you gradually work the stick from the neutral position, you should see a gradual increase from 0-600 at full stroke. You should be able to settle on any point in between. If it strokes from 0-600 with no in between, that sensor is probably flat. Keep in mind, bucket curl and bucket dump are 2 separate sensors. Odds of both having failed are pretty slim.
Now, looking at P1 &P2. You're only going to see real meaningful pressure at "end of travel" Meaning when the cylinder is fully extended or retracted. What do you see?

Sounds about right. If you hold bucket curl and press your power man button, you should gain about 500 psi.
4420 when I speed the machine up til the power man comes on.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Please do the same test with boom up. It uses 2 pump flow but at end of travel you'll be relying on P2. See if that boost phenomenon repeats itself. Thanks.

ROPecht

Pressure at boom up is close to the same while dead-heading it with strong man on and off. Pump 1 and pump 2 while dead-heading boom up shows about 200 to 250 psi more with strong man versus strong man off.

Attachments

• 20240124_152841.jpg
    20240124_152841.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240124_152859.jpg
    20240124_152859.jpg
    946.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240124_152924.jpg
    20240124_152924.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240124_152936.jpg
    20240124_152936.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Still thinking we have a relief issue. At this point, I'm thinking the best thing to do is to establish baseline pressures. In travel, your running on raised pressure. If raised is compromised, we need to find out where. Next step, invest in gauges and T-fittings or hand it off to the dealer. I don't want to suggest shotgunning parts.

Ben Witter

@ROPecht For any hydraulic related performance complaint I always recommend measuring cycle times on all functions. Travel L, R forward, reverse, high and low speeds, boom up, down, arm in, out, bucket in, out,
Then as @uffex stated run it in manual mode to see if the complaint remains. Do not worry about holding the bucket in while traveling, as that puts it into straight travel mode and defeats testing the regulators and how they are stroked. Are you using the straight travel pedal and not both travel pedals? This simplifies diagnosing travel deviation complaints.

Your pics showing P1 and P2 current I assume are while you are traveling straight or trying to or am I wrong? If so and the current is different, especially while using the straight travel pedal , I suspect one of your pump output sensors is off. This can best be verified by comparing the sensor readings with an accurate gauge(s). But please do not just replace the sensors. Do the troubleshooting first, as it could be something else.

Your main relief pressure is a little low but that should not affect travel or bucket speed.

ROPecht

@ROPecht For any hydraulic related performance complaint I always recommend measuring cycle times on all functions. Travel L, R forward, reverse, high and low speeds, boom up, down, arm in, out, bucket in, out,
Then as @uffex stated run it in manual mode to see if the complaint remains. Do not worry about holding the bucket in while traveling, as that puts it into straight travel mode and defeats testing the regulators and how they are stroked. Are you using the straight travel pedal and not both travel pedals? This simplifies diagnosing travel deviation complaints.

Your pics showing P1 and P2 current I assume are while you are traveling straight or trying to or am I wrong? If so and the current is different, especially while using the straight travel pedal , I suspect one of your pump output sensors is off. This can best be verified by comparing the sensor readings with an accurate gauge(s). But please do not just replace the sensors. Do the troubleshooting first, as it could be something else.

Your main relief pressure is a little low but that should not affect travel or bucket speed.
When I'm tracking forward and reverse I'm using both pedals. I'm not familiar with a straight travel pedal. I only traveled forward and reverse with the bucket curled all the way in or out in order to perform a type of troubleshooting, I'm guessing to see if the right track was capable of moving the same speed as the left track. You are correct with the mA signals being different on p1 and p2, I was traveling. Would it be worth while just swapping the two sensors to see if the issue remains?

Ben Witter

The pressure sensor values for the different functions are the servo values. As long as the reach around 550psi or greater and increase proportionally with the movement of the joystick, then those pressures are fine.

Perform the cycle time testing first then try traveling in manual mode. Then report back.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Does manual mode differ from service mode?
Yes, manual takes a lot of sensors out of the equation and just gives a flat 80% pump output. Ben Witter has given solid advice. Measuring cycle times is extremely helpful in determining pump health. If everything straightens out in manual, that would further imply lazy, flat or erroneous sensor values.

ROPecht

Yes, manual takes a lot of sensors out of the equation and just gives a flat 80% pump output. Ben Witter has given solid advice. Measuring cycle times is extremely helpful in determining pump health. If everything straightens out in manual, that would further imply lazy, flat or erroneous sensor values.
How do I put the machine in manual mode?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Should be 2 to 3 switches in the left armrest closer to the elbow. Should be a cover with a couple thumbscrews holding in place. Under the cover should be a switch for auto/manual, eng rpm and maybe a switch for 2 pump flow (optional)

ROPecht

Issue with slow bucket and slow right track still remains when in manual mode. The right track isn't as slow as when in normal mode but still noticeably slower.
At idle ( 948 ) rpms:
Bucket curl in: 16 sec.
Bucket curl out: 16 sec.

Stick in: 8 sec.
Stick out: 8 sec.

Boom UP from as low as I can get it with Stick straight out: 17 -18 sec.
Boom DOWN : 3 to 4 sec.

Right track full revolution: 1 minute and 10 sec.
Left track full revolition: 20 sec.

At (1896 ) rpms:
Bucket curl in: 11 sec.
Bucket curl out: 8 sec.

Stick in: 5 sec.
Stick out: 4-5 sec.

Boom up: 6 sec.
Boom down: 3-4 sec.

Right track: 35 sec.
Left track: 13 sec.

Ben Witter

Were these times in auto or manual mode? Either way all the cycle times look slow, just some are much worse than others. Make sure you are in auto mode and the machine is at operating temp when measuring cycle times. I like to measure 3 cycles of each function and average them. Track speed is measured in 3 complete revolutions and waiting to start measuring after one full revolution to ensure you are up to speed. Oh and use a stop watch.

Cycle times at full engine rpm should be

Travel lo 28.2 sec
Travel hi 15.2 sec
Boom up 2.5 sec
Boom dn 2.4 sec
Arm in 2.8 sec
Arm out 2.2 sec
Bucket in 3.0 sec
Bucket out 2.2 sec
Swing 18.5 sec Like travel 3 revolutions after 1 full revolution.

If your cycle times are consistent with your previous findings then it may be a pump or regulator issue