• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2008 volvo ec140cl slow right track and bucket curl

ROPecht

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and looking for some help. I'm working on a 2008 volvo ec140cl and operator is complaining about the right side track being way slower than the left track (intermittent problem). Also when this happens he claims the bucket curl function slows down as well. Says he can jostle the machine sometimes and both functions go back to working fine. Does that sound like trash in a spool valve? If so, how could it affect both the right track speed and the bucket curl function speed at the same time?

ROPecht

Also, attached us the serial number. Machine shows roughly 5600 hours.

Attachments

• 1705078430157.jpg
    1705078430157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
I’m not sure if the 140 is the same but on the 240 size machine’s the have two Hyd pumps piggybacked together.

One pump supplies RH travel and bucket curl then, both pumps are used for boom and stick functions in tandem and the other pump supplies LH travel and swing.

Seeing as it’s intermittent.. Possibly an issue with the flow control on the pump that supplies the RH travel and bucket curl. This is provided that they are the same as the lager units.

ROPecht

Rooster I'm not sure if it's the same as the 240 size machine either. I appreciate the info greatly. I told the gentleman that owns the machine that I was going to service everything first, get all the fluid levels right, and then see what we have after that. I was hoping maybe a hydraulic filter is plugged up and restricting flow but I won't know until tomorrow when I get back to the machine tomorrow. The list shows it has like 4 or 5 filters associated with the hydraulics. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

ROPecht

Uffex thanks for the feedback, I will be at the machine tomorrow morning and will give that a try. Are you telling me to just curl the bucket cylinder all the way in and out ( manual mode )?

ROPecht

Im sorry, I'm an idiot. I'll get to the screen that you sent me and then look for errors while I stroke the bucket in and out. I'll report my findings.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Sorry if I made confusion, If you dead end the bucket cylinder and then track forwards & backwards if the machine travels in a straight line it is a way of trouble shooting.
Kind regards
uffex

ROPecht

Uffex, your message wasn't confusing. I just wasn't familiar with putting the machine in manual mode. After talking to my buddy that used to work at McLung Logan ( Volvo Equipment ) he cleared it up for me. I appreciate yal taking the time to offer up your knowledge to try to help someone out.

ROPecht

When I maxed the curl out function it tracked straight. I tried the same thing in rabbit mode and it didn't change speed but still tracked straight. I noticed each final drive had similar pressures while moving ( 600 psi or so ) while curling bucket out. I didn't see any change to the final drive pressure even when I stopped curling the bucket out. The picture I posted was just a reading while machine was at or near idle and dead heading the curl out function. I did notice the bucket curling in out and out very slow and coming to a stop mid stroke. I got everything serviced up. I hope I have given you guys something to go with. I'm happy to try anything yal ask. Appreciate it!!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Did you find any debris in the filter well? Did you cut open the case drain filter and observe its contents? In service mode, observe the pressure sensor for the affected function. If a sensor is getting lazy, it could affect pump displacement.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Did you find any debris in the filter well? Did you cut open the case drain filter and observe its contents? In service mode, observe the pressure sensor for the affected function. If a sensor is getting lazy, it could affect pump displacement.
Nice you help

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
The fact it straighten out means the motors - central joint are fine, something is going on with pump delivery (flow). Be aware that when you use the crawlers in combination with the equipment will effect crawler performance, your observations of slower crawlers when you use the bucket is normal.
The mili amps differ to each pump just check that you have not selected X1.
Kind regards
Uffex

ROPecht

Funwithfuel, I did not inspect the filters after removing it. I did not notice exactly what the psi was for the bucket curl was. I will have to try to find which pressure switch is pertaining to the bucket curl function. I did pay attention to the psi to both of the final drives while it was tracking straight and when the right track was messing up. They both stayed at 600 psi or so. Thanks for the help and I will be back at the machine hopefully Monday morning and I'll try to have answers for yals questions. Thanks again.

ROPecht

Good day
The fact it straighten out means the motors - central joint are fine, something is going on with pump delivery (flow). Be aware that when you use the crawlers in combination with the equipment will effect crawler performance, your observations of slower crawlers when you use the bucket is normal.
The mili amps differ to each pump just check that you have not selected X1.
Kind regards
Uffex
Uffex, I saw that the miliamps differed as well, I'm not familiar enough to know whether or not I selected x1. With the up and down arrows that control the screen, it looks like they just scroll the page up or down each time you push it to show different information. I wish I was more familiar with this stuff like yal guys so I could be more helpful, I apologize. I appreciate yal guys taking the time to try to help me out.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
When you raise the safety flag, does the display read, "X1 hammer selected" if not, you haven't selected X1. If the mA are wavering or dropping out proportional to the track speed dropping off, the pump is doing what it's told. Now you need to monitor pump 1 & 2 output pressure while tracking. Do the values change ? If the pressure sensor is telling the computer that your maxing out, it will throttle the pump back to prevent stalling. It's looking like you have an electrical gremlin vs hydraulic issue.

ROPecht

When you raise the safety flag, does the display read, "X1 hammer selected" if not, you haven't selected X1. If the mA are wavering or dropping out proportional to the track speed dropping off, the pump is doing what it's told. Now you need to monitor pump 1 & 2 output pressure while tracking. Do the values change ? If the pressure sensor is telling the computer that your maxing out, it will throttle the pump back to prevent stalling. It's looking like you have an electrical gremlin vs hydraulic issue.

Attachments

• 20240119_151107.jpg
    20240119_151107.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 8

ROPecht

This is what the pumps are doing when I am tracking straight then let off of the curl function, it starts fluctuating all over the place. It just happened to catch the psi shown in my pic when I took it. I thought it stayed steady but I'm wrong.