• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1999 Mustang 2050 Safety Lockout, Intermittent

Texasten

Howdy. Have searched this forum a LOT looking for ways to troubleshoot this problem of foot pedals locking up. This has gone on for years and I have been unable to find what causes it, nor have I found many answers online. It seems to be a common problem, but not so common are answers!!!
I find that replacing the ECM to the newer version with LED lights might be a path to determine which circuit is causing the lockout. Most of the time I can stop and start engine a few times, mess with the 2 switches, jiggle the wires/fuse area, and within 10 minutes it works properly, and might even work for weeks without locking up. But it always comes back to bite me! It seems to be getting more difficult to coax it to release the pedal locks.
Any suggestions or comments appreciated by this newbie to your nice forum.!!
My first contribution will be posting what the problem was on my machine, and I am guessing it will be useful to a LOT of folks.....
Thanks for ANY info. :)))

Texasten

I don't think it is a problem with the relay that holds the pedal locks open. I can hear a "tink" from the ECM, the left green switch lite goes out, and then, "clik, clik, clik" and wheels lock up along with the pedals. If I turn the right switch to red, the left lite returns to green, then I can drive, but no movement of bucket allowed.

Texasten

I did discuss this with a Skid Steer shop. They told me they had repaired this problem on other machines, only to have them come back with the problem back. Therefore, the only way they can guarantee their work is to replace the wiring harness and all the electrical parts, like switches, relays, etc. for a cost of between 2500 to 4000.00.
I am not sure a 17 year old skid steer is worth that much of an "investment"...... 2500, MAYBE, 4000?, Yikes........

Texasten

Well, this is interesting that no one seems to have anything to add to this. At least I have a sort of "blog" going here to keep track of the steps in this process.....
Today, I bought a new interlock control module, the newer version having all the led lights. I am hoping that perhaps if this module does not solve the problem, perhaps it will shed some light on which circuit is tripping the module to shut down hydraulics and lock the brakes. I have been advised that the led lights may not be much help, but I figger it is one more thing I can try......
Hope to install the new module in the next day or two. Sometimes the machine runs perfectly for 2 weeks without a glitch, so it may take a little time to determine if this helps, or it may shut down upon first use.......
Stay tuned!

Texasten

Thanks Moonlite. I guess Mustang is not exactly the mainstream of skid steers. Was talking to the fellow who sold me the new part yesterday. What I find hard to believe is that there would not be some sort of procedure to trouble shoot this problem. He told me if their shop spent the amount of time to troubleshoot it, they would likely have more hours into it than just replacing all the electrics like the entire harness, switches, relays, etc. He said that most people with this safety malfunction end up replacing relays, switches, and misc parts, one at a time. He said once in awhile replacing the control module like I bought, SOMETIMES, does fix the problem. He said most folks wait until they have replaced all other parts, cuz the darn thing was almost 300$.
So far, I have replaced the ignition switch, the timer, and now soon, the contol module. Can't wait to install it, hopefully this afternoon, depending upon these daily rainstorms here in Texas!

Texasten

Observation: I removed the old safety control module, and I notice that there is one plug on the old module that has red wire and black wire. I assume this is the power plug. On the vehicle side of this plug, there is ONLY a red wire. It is from the factory like this, as the plug on the vehicle side has only one active terminal, the red one. I find this a bit odd that there would not be a corresponding black ground or negative side to the power to the module.
Guess I will install the new module, plug it in exactly as was the old one, a red power wire feeding it, but nothing hooked to the black, neg side.
If anyone savvy about electrics has any comments, very curious to hear!!!!

Texasten

Report: The new safety control module is installed, and appears to be working correctly. Am I crazy? I am jiggling wires and TRYING to make the left green lite go dead. Both green lites came on with the 2 switches set for Mustang use. The only problem is, it is too early to throw a party and say all is well. It would not be uncommon for it to work correctly even with the old control module, even for a week or 2. I would say after 2 weeks and no more lockups, I will declare it fixed. Just the illusion that maybe all is well mite be worth the 300$ for the module!!!!! But, I shall watch it closely and report back here within 2 weeks if all is well, or even sooner, if the left switch goes out and locks me up again.......

Texasten

Ok, I believe I am ready to declare the 2050 no longer has the lockout problem. It has been more than a couple weeks and not a hint of a problem since I replaced the control module for the safety stuff. It was almost 300$ but very well spent dollars if it continues to behave so well!!!!

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Vintage Restos & occasional Tractors
We have a 2054 that has had similar problems... we just bypassed the box and all has seemed to work for over a year now.

Texasten

Good to Go.....

We have a 2054 that has had similar problems... we just bypassed the box and all has seemed to work for over a year now.

That prolly would have worked with mine too. I was not savvy enough as to how to bypass the thing! It has worked like a dream since replaced the ECM for the safety stuff. No lock up, works perfectly everytime!!!

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Vintage Restos & occasional Tractors
That prolly would have worked with mine too. I was not savvy enough as to how to bypass the thing! It has worked like a dream since replaced the ECM for the safety stuff. No lock up, works perfectly everytime!!!

You must have got lucky and got a good one. From everything else I read on here about it being a crapshoot getting a new ECM, we just put our thinking caps on and got rid of it. Don't think these machines were the best from the gate, but you gotta deal with what ya got. ;)

Occupation
I operate our pit, as well as deliver materials, a
The Mustang skid loaders are great! We have two. The electronic safety circuits have been our only problems. Try replacing the safety rocker switch (upper right). Or you could disable the peddle locks all together. Each spool has an operating rod for the lock out. Remove the solenoids and access the push rods. Remove those little push rods, and now your peddle locks are all done! This worked on a 940E series anyway. I also have a straight 940. It has mchanical peddle locks from the seat belt latch, a much simpler design. Also gotta love the pull knob for the shut off. I just loved the early 90s machines, with Basic, minimal electronics only!

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
The upgraded control module was upgraded for a reason. The old style with no LED lights is 15 years outdated. The LED lights do all the troubleshooting you need. ALSO for the guy that bypassed it BEWARE. If anyone gets hurt on a machine with a bypassed safety system the lawyers will get everything you own. Even if the operator was not even authorized, or did not have your permission to USE your machine!!!!

motorhog

New here today. i also have been searching for info regarding the Mustang safety lockout issues. Not much around for detailed info. I own a 2008 2054 with all the same issues as discussed in this thread. I have lots of knowledge regarding issues like this but doing research is the new way to save time now days. I have also spent a few hours trying to solve my loock out issues. I do have 1 twist, my skid steer goes into lockout mode (pedals and bars at any given time. The green light goes out to warn me it is going to happen), and it also cuts fuel off and kills the machine at times. Sometimes, I get in it to run it and it will continue to start and die (running just a few seconds). I can walk away from the machine for 10 minutes and get back on it and it will run fine. Frustrating... It also seems to act up more on a steeper grade. So, here are my thoughts:
The safety system must have a timer of some sort that "unlocks" it after sitting a bit? It has no predictability to it in any way and i am doubting it is an issue with the wiring harness because it appear to always "time" it'self back to a normal operating position.
In an attempt to solve the issue, i have bypassed the safety switches in the seat and bar, dissabled the wheel locks by unplugging the box under the seat that ingauges the wheel locks. With the issue continuing, I now suspect the ignition switch or the interlock control module. I have read few who solved the issue with a new ignition switch. so, a new "light up" control module seems to be where i am heading.
Can someone tell me where this is located on a 2008 Mustang 2054? Is it the box in the top of the cab by the safety lights? I would like some more info before I go further. Seems unbelievable Mustang has had this issue for a decade. Thanks for any help.

scttpst

Mustang 2040, had a similar issue with intermitent lockout and then would start run few seconds and shut off. I tried to restart for a week or two thinking it would work again on its own but it never did. I ended up replacing the "control module m368 lockout, part number 420-35604). That didn't fix the issue for me, I spent way more time than I'd wanted to but finally found the issue. For me it was the wire connector on the charge pressure switch, on the hydraulic manifold package valve under the seat. The connector would intermittently short out. I was able to bend the tabs in the connector and it now is working just fine. I'm not sure if I needed to buy the contol module, however I would not have been able to troubleshoot without the new "light up" control module.

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
Mustang 2040, had a similar issue with intermitent lockout and then would start run few seconds and shut off. I tried to restart for a week or two thinking it would work again on its own but it never did. I ended up replacing the "control module m368 lockout, part number 420-35604). That didn't fix the issue for me, I spent way more time than I'd wanted to but finally found the issue. For me it was the wire connector on the charge pressure switch, on the hydraulic manifold package valve under the seat. The connector would intermittently short out. I was able to bend the tabs in the connector and it now is working just fine. I'm not sure if I needed to buy the contol module, however I would not have been able to troubleshoot without the new "light up" control module.
You're welcome!!! Service support is what it's all about! If we're not here to help each other out, then, what's the point?

dan j cassidy

i have not. i am trying to find a timer relay which i think is the problem after much thought. mustang does not make it. it is part number 420 35570. a dealer i know can buy it from somebody but wants 270 for it. yikes. looking for a used one now. any ideas