• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1984 Case 780 A336BDT

Tinkerer

tell i can get the engine fixed, the guy i bought it from was driving it low on oil down a mountain or up one here in Alaska i think he said down and it broke it.
Thanks for the update chestypuller.
You are talking about the 780, yes ?
If you are and it was driven when it was low on oil, it is a good thing you are removing the engine from the machine to work on it.

chestypuller

Occupation
Nut twister
still havent removed engine, cant figure a good way to get it out, outside in the elements on grass. got the cummins 4b seperated from generator still dont know if its a sae 3 or not, no idea what the a336bdt pattern is since its still in backhoe.

Jasonswett

still havent removed engine, cant figure a good way to get it out, outside in the elements on grass. got the cummins 4b seperated from generator still dont know if its a sae 3 or not, no idea what the a336bdt pattern is since its still in backhoe.

Did you ever get your engine out and find out the SAE size?

Jamessills7

For parts Dale Wiess has better prices than most vendors and he is a wealth of Case knowledge. http://www.e-backhoeparts.com/
Your 336 engine is the same as a 301 other than the larger cylinder bore. What specs. do you need ? You really need the service manual for the machine. They are not cheap but worth their weight in gold. Case has an online parts book for your machine, but if you want to download the entire parts book use this link. http://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/BACKHOE MANUALS/CNH (CASE) BACKHOE MANUALS/CASE 780/CASE 780 LOADER BACKHOE (COMPRESSED).pdf
I have the engine service manual somewhere in one of my computers in .pdf format. PM me your email address and I will try to send it to you. I may have to put it in a zip file.
Hello, I'm new to the forum aswell, and have the 336bdt aswell, it runs fine but will randomly dump all oul out of the valve cover vent. I was gonna see if it was possible to get that engine service manual aswell my email is jamessills7@gmail.com. thanks in advance.

Tinkerer

Hi James and Welcome to HEF !
I will send you a link to the file later today.
If you still are able to edit your post when you read this, I would advise you to remove your email address.
If the time frame expires to do that, ask one of the mods to remove it.
Take the valve covers off of the engine and see if the is a lot sludge or something else preventing the oil from draining down to the oil pan.

Jamessills7

Hi James and Welcome to HEF !
I will send you a link to the file later today.
If you still are able to edit your post when you read this, I would advise you to remove your email address.
If the time frame expires to do that, ask one of the mods to remove it.
Take the valve covers off of the engine and see if the is a lot sludge or something else preventing the oil from draining down to the oil pan.
Thanks for the message back I have contacted support on how to remove my email, hope they get back to me soon. Thank you for the advice and I'll be watching for that service manual thank you

chestypuller

Occupation
Nut twister
i still havent got the engine out, i know hard to believe. Lost my copy of manual, want to get going back on it this spring before mosquitos... Ill start my own thread when i get into it for everyone to enjoy

chestypuller

Occupation
Nut twister
No need to block up the transmission. It has very strong mounting brackets. They are notorious for the bolts coming loose. What happened to the engine to cause that kind of damage to the connecting rod ?
Crankshaft damaged ?
well the guy that used to own it was low on oil,comming down or going up a moutain grade and starved it for oil, thats the story i got