1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Zoom Boom 8044, tilt cylinder slow to function! (10 second delay)

Discussion in 'Forklifts/Telehandlers' started by MUGLY, Mar 31, 2014.

1. MUGLY

MUGLY Active Member

Working on a Zoom Boom 8044 and having some issues with the tilt function/compensator.

When you push the button on the joystick and push/pull on it, it takes about 10 seconds for the forks to actually tilt up or down. All other functions are immediate when using the joystick, the only other related issues is that often the forks don't compensate during boom raising and lowering.

I've done some pressure testing and not quite sure how to chase this one down. I've got 300 psi pilot pressure going to the valve body from the cab. I took a pressure reading at the cylinder and it gets almost no pressure until about 10 seconds after the joystick is moved, so it seems like something is causing a delay in the valve itself. I pulled it out and it looks fine. Not really sure how to keep chasing this issue.

If I leave the forks up over night, they don't fall so I'm going under the idea that it isn't piston seal related.

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Moonlite

Moonlite Senior Member

I would check spool valve on valve body . Swap coils with another valve if possible and see what happens

3. VileMisanthropy

VileMisanthropy Member

I had this problem, sent out the cylinder, it was bent, i think it also had blow by in the cylinder.

4. bodydrench

bodydrench New Member

he guys, have a 1996 zoom boom 8040 zoom boom carelift with the slow or not functioning tilt of forks. i took the stick controler apart thinking it was something inside and have now broken the stick controler that you hold. does anyone know where i can buy another one? thanks in advance for your help.

5. VileMisanthropy

VileMisanthropy Member

find the part number and call skyjack, they own zoom boom now.