• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zimmerman Mixer

PETE379

Occupation
Manage and oversee daily operations, also process
Does anybody have any experience with a zimmerman or equivalent volumetric concrete mixer? I'm looking to spec one out on a new Pete 340 or 365, just looking for some info.

LaLaMan

What does your company do that your thinking about getting a voulmetric mixer?

Ive always been intrested in these things.

PETE379

Occupation
We are a mason supply yard. We have a large customer base, and no other ready mix companies within ten miles of our area. The fact that we also produce our own sand and gravel makes things easy also. Looks like we are getting a ten yard unit. Do you have any experience with these?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have been away from the concrete producing business for a number of years now but Zimmerman is not a household name to me.The brands that were prominant back in those days were Smith,Rex,Challange and Jeager to name a few.
I would buy whatever brand that is going to provide the best service in your case.With only one mixer you will have no backup short of calling the competition to help you out.You cannot just abandon a pour in progress.Ron G

PETE379

Occupation
Ron G, I know what you are saying, correct those brands are popular when it comes to barrel mixers. Zimmerman is one of the inovators of volumetric mixers, I know a few people that have been running them since the 70's, they seem to be proven just not to popular in all areas. If all goes well I hope to add a second next year.

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
Volumetric mixers

We used one as a mobile batch plant mounted on a KW truck frame, backing up the hill to load the mixer trucks. Many problems with the belt, hyd. system namely the control block and the unloading chute! The cyl above (don't know why it's above the chute) started leaking into the batch ruining over 1000 yards of concrete due to oil contamination! Then the control block started leaking as well. This was for a company the changed oil once a year on their dump trucks!

PETE379

Occupation
They are deffinatley something you can not neglect maintenance wise, when its delivered they spend two days with you to show you how to use it and maintain it. They have been around for a number of years, one guy around here has 4 of them, they are late model but he has been running them since the 80's. We just finalized the truck today, pete 365 triaxle, finalizing mixer in next couple of days.

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
PM Service PM Service PM Service PM Service = Longevity and save $$$ in the long haul! You could NOT convience the bosses that PM and Service were the money savers. Maybe that why they are in business under another name! I havent worked for them since 02. Hell the service manager never took oil samples for the Cat equipment we had, which voided the warenty. Then the D4 and the back hoe stopped backing up! the D4 cost them $18k to fix, and the backhoe was sent to another mechanic along with a 311 excavator for reair. He has kept this equipment as well as the IT18 Loader! for payment on a other repairs they owed him. The back hoe still sits with no reverse, and the 311 won't spin!

PETE379

Occupation
WOW!...Now I dont feel as worried about the mixer anymore. I dont know how people like that can operate on a daily basis. We have seven trucks, 4 loaders, 7 forklifts and 4 screening plants...and our own shop and full time mechanic. If there are no major repairs, everyday if theres something sitting in the yard it goes in for PM.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I learned something today.I never heard of the word "volumetric".It sounds kinda like a broom technician or some other socially acceptable buzzword these days.
If you had said "concrete mobile" which is what I have always heard them called I probably would not have answered you but now I have successfully sounded pretty dumb,again.
I am trying to imagine what the engineer was thinking that coined that "volumetric" word.
I can see that it dispenses "meters?"by volume.Maybe that's it.
Sorry I didn't contribute much with my reply.Ron G