• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ZF hydraulic steering pump

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Engineer (AT UNI), Heavy equipment owner/ operator
Morning, i have a ZF 7673 Vane hydraulic steering pump, on my MB Trac tractor, for a while the steering has been noisy, and hard to steer, especially when the engine is at idle. Rev the engine up, you can hear it working, almost like cavitation and as soon as take the pressure off it goes back to a normal sound.

The pump is driven by two belts off the main pulley on the front of the engine. At first i thought it could have been a bad filter, or poor oil. So i flushed the system and a new filter, still no difference.

The oil removed was dark, and had some very very fine metal particles in it, nothing chunky there at all.

Given this is a standard truck steering pump for DAF, Volvo and Mercedes trucks, i would reckon there would be a rebuild kit out there.

Is it worth repairing a vane type pump? Is it mostly likely the pump at fault?
If i am going to repair it, can it be fairly simply done

Cheers
Alex