• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zexel VE hard starting

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Can u post a pic of the pump.??
I need to see if it has an adjustable START SCREW.. or a Cold Start device..
DO NOT GO TURNING SCREWS.!!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Yea, the pic is good.. unfortunately u don’t have any start screws.
U could try turning the pump a smidge..(change the timing)
There should be a timing line on the pump mounting flange..& one on the intermediate plate..
Use them as a starting point..& move the pump a dimes width in either direction..
Be sure to tighten the nuts after each movement.!!

Cathead

Thanks for the idea. We are in the middle of a snow storm so it will be several days
until I can experiment a little with the timing. I will post again in a few days with some
results.

Cathead

Have you used the glow plugs before attempting to start? Does it make any difference?

Yes, I generally use the glow plugs at least a little bit, more when it's cold of course. There is pretty much no smoke on cranking so it is a fuel thing.

From my understanding, the governor is supposed to give full fuel on start up,
maybe it isn't.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Yes do that.. if the head and rotor has any wear on it, you’ll need the extra throttle travel..
Let’s here MORE about these glow plugs.. have they been tested.??
How did u test them.??
How long do you leave them on for.?? R u waiting on the “idiot lite”?? Have u counted it out.??
1 Missippi, 2 Missippi.. to 10 Missippi, THEN crank the engine..
Another thing is the elbows going into and out of the filter head .!!
THATS a biggie..
Let us know and stay warm..

Cathead

Yes do that.. if the head and rotor has any wear on it, you’ll need the extra throttle travel..
Let’s here MORE about these glow plugs.. have they been tested.??
How did u test them.??
How long do you leave them on for.?? R u waiting on the “idiot lite”?? Have u counted it out.??
1 Missippi, 2 Missippi.. to 10 Missippi, THEN crank the engine..
Another thing is the elbows going into and out of the filter head .!!
THATS a biggie..
Let us know and stay warm..

Yes, I have disconnected the glow plugs and tested each one for continuity using a VOM.
As far as time heating the glow plugs, I rely on the temperature of the machine to dictate
how long I use them. Generally I will heat them for 15 seconds or so, more if it is exposed to
cold weather up to maybe 30 seconds or so. I would think the glow plugs are the 10.5 volt
units but I don't know for sure as it is a used machine when I got it. It has about 3000 hours
on the hobbs meter now and 1600 something when I bought it. Tell me more about the elbows and
filter head. I'm not sure what that is all about. The snow is pretty much over and the next is the
northwest wind blast and below zero temps for a day or so.

Cathead

Finally I got to adding an electrical fuel pump before the filter. That made no difference
at all in starting. I will be adjusting the timing next as a rotary pump is more touchy than
the standard cam type pump I would think. Also I will be checking the lines more carefully.

Cathead

Yea, the pic is good.. unfortunately u don’t have any start screws.
U could try turning the pump a smidge..(change the timing)
There should be a timing line on the pump mounting flange..& one on the intermediate plate..
Use them as a starting point..& move the pump a dimes width in either direction..
Be sure to tighten the nuts after each movement.!!

I did try moving the timing a dime's width in either direction and it didn't make much
difference on starting. The engine will start when warmed up if you shut it off and start
it again in a minute or so. If you wait 5 minutes, it just cranks and cranks...