• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zaxis Sarter 'Heads up'

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Complaint, "Just clicks"

Found that the hotwire to the solenoid had rubbed through and shorted on one of the long bolts that hold the starter together. It doesn't kill the starter, you just have to isolate the wire and it's all good.

This is the 3rd time I've seen this.

buckfever

Make it 4. the exact same thing happen to our 160. We thought it was the batteries so we bought two new ones, no go, then checked the starter and saw the one bolt was burned though. Worst part was that we spent 1600 on a new starter and found out we could fix it by just welding the bolt back together:Banghead Also deere does not give a core for the old starter.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
I've had them rebuilt at a place called Romaine Electric in Seattle. They charge about $600 if I remember right. Maybe there's a rebuilder in your area if you end up needing one.

buckfever

Our local alt. and starter shop in our area could not get the parts to repair. Hopfully I won't have to replace it agian.