• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your opinion of a 10 speed transmission in a dump truck?

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I am looking to buy a tri-axle dump truck with N-14 460 Cum.,RTX16710L trans, DS 402 Eaton rears ( 4.33 ratio).What do you guys think of this power train? I do not know anything about this trany and would appreciate some feed back on it.
Thanks

buckfever

As long as the rear axels are well matched to the trany ratio you should be alright. I drove a lowboy kenworth with a ten speed and a international tandem dump. Both worked well. Just wish when the tandem was loaded and pulling out of a soft spot wish I had deep reduction.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
if you are not off road alot, you will be OK, I have a Triaxle about the same setup, but its a Big Cam Cummins. I like a 8LL when I go off road, but here lately all I am doing is hauling asphalt/rock

Tiny

I have been used to 8s ,9s 13s and 18s the 10 just seems an odd duck to me . Going back to low hole in the high side just seems wrong LOL . Two trucks the company have with 10s in them have never given a moments trouble.

It may be rear gears but the tandem tractor they have the 1st 5 gears are too close and you have to tach it out to get to 10th

Soodude

We have that tranny in one of our tandem dump trucks. It's an alright tranny when running the roads but if you get into any type of off-road work with it then you will notice a big difference when trying to climb out of a pit when you're loaded.... I love the 8LL and the 13 speeds that we have in the other trucks.... the low reduction in those suckers are great but this is just an opinion but from the size of the N-14 that's in there you shouldn't have a problem... If you know anyone around your area with a truck with a 8LL or a 13 I would ask them if you could give them a try and then you would see what we are talking about.... Let us know what you come up with

KTS77_416C

We have that tranny in one of our tandem dump trucks. It's an alright tranny when running the roads but if you get into any type of off-road work with it then you will notice a big difference when trying to climb out of a pit when you're loaded.... I love the 8LL and the 13 speeds that we have in the other trucks.... the low reduction in those suckers are great but this is just an opinion but from the size of the N-14 that's in there you shouldn't have a problem... If you know anyone around your area with a truck with a 8LL or a 13 I would ask them if you could give them a try and then you would see what we are talking about.... Let us know what you come up with

couldn't have said it better myself...we have all 8LL and one with a 13..love the 13 personally. all our road trucks have 10s in them tho, just how its always been for us.
stay on road all the time and that n-14 will love the 10 speed :)

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Fuller 10 speed is great transmission. If it has a deep reduction that gives you 5 more holes making total of 15 it is fantistic.

Fattie6SS

I couldn't agree more, where I work we have a Peterbilt tandem dump with 12.7 60 Series and a 10 speed and a Freightliner N-14/450 with 10 speed that I pull our lowboy with and I could say a bad thing about either. But as far as the 13 speed our other Freightliner tractor has a 60 Series 14L/500, an jus like KTS77_416C says you would love the 13 speed, they work great and kinda fun to drive in my opinion.