• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your Lowboy Pictures Wanted

hvy 1ton

How big are the big guns? Looking at ads for used trucks, I see a fair amount of C15/N14 450-550hp range standard hood T800's listed for sale. I have no use for a real big truck, I'm just curious about the differences.

The T800Ws have something like 20% more radiator surface area. They are easy to pick out with the single headlight hood. As for big power, there are a few widehoods out there with C16s.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
None of my T800W’s really had big power other than the one I tuned. They had considerably more radiator capacity plus they had more air under the truck which helped everything else. It wasn’t uncommon for a long grade out west to take me an hour to climb if I was pulling the 13 axle. Every single thing on a wide hood (assuming proper spec) is made to have the guts pulled out of it.

After we tuned mine the guy was afraid we had it too hot so we put it on the dyno and ran it hard like a big trailer would on a 7-8% grade. Dyno gave up before truck got anywhere near high temps with oil or water.

I will say the things I had to watch rather close were the front driver and the aux trans. It wasn’t hard to get the front driver to peg a 300 degree gauge on a long hard pull. We got creative with oil and coolers which cured the aux issue but never did get the rears to cool down. Just had to watch them close and keep the oil change interval short.

The lifespan of every single thing on a lowboy truck is way shorter than the average truck. Hoses, fluids, filters, tires, suspension parts etc etc. I didn’t do my oil changes by mileage. I kept track of fuel consumed and that’s when it got changed. Quite a bit to truck spec and upkeep under a big trailer moving big iron.

Truck Shop

Oh no----no staying home for the wicked. Often thought a set of three railers would add proper clearance. Hell 20 of our trucks have them, can't keep the drivers away from their
fried chicken, tater tots, little debbie snacks, german dogs and corn dogs and five gallon bucket of dipping sauce. And yeah it looks like a grinder.

Reactions: DB2