• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your input requested

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
Wanted to ask, so I don't blindly make a costly mistake.
I have been asked if I would dig some footings on a commercial site. And I could see this ballooning into regular work.
My question is. On a jobsite for someone else do I need to have it located or will it be already done.
The site is cleared permits in place and all, drawings etc.
One would think all is a go. And I'm cleared for take off.
What steps do I need to take to C.M.A.

Thank you in advance.

heavylift

I did a sewer replacement at a house once, the guy didn't call in locates before he remodeled his house, he placed the addition over a sewer main... Cost him about 50,000 buck to relocate the sewer, pocket change. he spend 250,000 bucks on the the stone for the house...

dirty4fun

I would call in my own locate, in ILL. it is the law. Every trade that is going to dig has there own JULIE done. There is a main fiber optic that costs $100K you a minute if you hit it for down time, plus repairs. So I won't dig without a JULIE just not worth it. Make sure you have insurance that covers you digging also.

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
I have 2mill gen liability electrically. Not sure what I have on the track hoe, thinking its just tools and loss for the bank.(theft)
What makes this a slippery slope, but I think it ultimately comes back on me...
The fellow I may be doing this for, usually rents a machine and does his own digging.
Basicly he's renting my machine and I'm in the seat. so its me.. but its his job.. but I'm pulling the levers...
I'm just not sure. I definitely am asking him about site locate, if this comes through, it is just a phone call so far. And I wanted to ask. Before I do anything.
Thank You again

wnydirtguy

I have been lectured by the office for digging on a site that we did call for underground locating. They told me that you get in a hep of trouble if you hit something and didn't call. even thought it is marked you don't know if all the utilities have cleared the site. I would just call and be safe. better safe than looking like an a@#.

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
Thanks to all.
This was 1 of those hurry up and wait deals. with best intentions.
Anyway, he called Friday asking if I was available for Monday(Memorial Day)he was going to call back to confirm.
No word so. Sunday I called him, and he apoligized, rental company called him with a unit on Friday that he could keep till Tueday.
So... He ended up not needing me. @#!%$&
I guess it worked out OK, cause I didn't oops any undergroud.
Oh well, Today is another day.

Randy88

I never read anyone say anything about pictures and the call in for the locate, take plenty of pictures to go with the locate, if you don't have pictures to place the locate in the right spot, if you hit it you can't prove it wasn't where they said it was, the locate guys take pictures, you should too for the same reason. Just my two cents.