• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your Ideal Set-Up for Swimming Pool Excavation and Demo

Onassis91

Hey Guys, I have been sniffing through the forums for years and found a ton of useful information but this is my first post.

We are pool contractors in Central California and have been throwing the idea around of purchasing a CTL and Mini/Midi as the business has grown it seems like a good business decision. Taking into account the factors I am about to list, what would be your ideal CTL/Mini excavator pairing? You can suggest a class size, i,e.6-ton excavator, and 9,000lb CTL or a model CAT 305E2 and 259D, Deere 50G, Bobcat T740, etc. The more detailed the answer the better - I realize how experienced some of the member of this site are, and the input will help us a lot.

• The breakdown of the equipment usage would probably be 30% pool demo and 70% in-ground excavation.
  • The average pool we dig works out to about of 130 cu. yds. of dirt.
  • The length and width vary greatly but depth is generally 7-foot at the deepest, but sometimes more.
  • 70% of the dirt is trucked off-site (generally, a 10-wheeler does the hauling).
  • The soil here isn't always amazing, and can contain a good bit of rock.
  • Half of the time access can be relatively limited, the roads are often tight and the neighborhoods don't have a ton of unloading areas.
  • We would have to invest in another truck and trailer as well as we don't currently have anything that could haul two pieces of equipment (I am open to obtaining a CDL as well, but do not currently have one).
  • Our area has good dealer support for CAT, Deere, Bobcat and Kubota.

I know I probably forgot something, but any advice and input is greatly appreciated!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Onassis91!

I am a Cat guy so I'm going to recommend a 305.5E 2 and a 279D. Own a 279D with all the bells and whistles and it's a great machine. Rented several 305.5's and it's a nice, capable sized mini. Would love to have one but we don't use mini's enough to justify the price, it's cheaper for us to rent.

A 279 can load a tandem dump but will struggle with a tri-axle or other high sided dump truck. Which ever CTL you choose look at the lift and dump height in order to compare to the trucks you'll be loading.

If you are going to haul a mini and CTL on the same trailer you're going to be in CDL territory once all the weight of truck, trailer and equipment are added ip, go ahead and plan on getting a Class A if you decide to go this route.

f311fr1

If you look at CAT CTL's stay away from the 289D, they will back flip. Either the 279 or the 299 would be good choices. The 305.5 would also be a good starting point for a mini ex. Any of these can be pulled individually by a one ton. To do both you will need to be able to handle about 24k lb payload just for machnes, buckets ect. We generally try to load out trucks with an excavator if possible.

Onassis91

The 299 looks like an amazing machine but if I am not mistaken aren't they quite a bit more than the 289D? Granted they are nearly 30hp more. I see them used most often running mulchers, etc. and don't know many outside of that industry running them.

Keep the answers coming - the input is appreciated.

Any breaker recommendations?