• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yet Another Green One

telwood

Hey Guys:

Not sure they get much greener than me. In my mid- 50's and bought my first track loader April Fools Day 2013. Like many of you I was in the farm use budget and in no rush which gave me the option of becoming a mechanic by buying an antique or spending 2 years to find just the right one. I went for the latter (in my mind) and picked up a 1996 JD 455G loader. Almost sad the search is over but I wasn't getting any younger and the trees I want to clear were/are still growing so I was getting squeezed to either make the move or sub out the work.

My project is to clear and fence about 30 acres of 50 year old overgrowth in central GA. One added feature is that under these trees is unnatural grade from previous mining activities at the turn of the century so when I get it cleared I will need to figure out how best to grade it and may have to move quite a volume of dirt before figuring out where the cross fence will go. The good news is I have a couple years between all the other projects to get it done and when this machine isn't running I am not burning 2 gallons an hour, paying an operator or making a payment on her so time is on my side...to some extent I guess.

Enjoyed being able to access this forum and read the post about the various potential machines during my hunt and expect I'll hang around and learn what I can about how these things operate...and how and why they don't operate other times.

Sorry in advance for not being one of the ones who can provide much advice.