• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yes another 955L problem....

stars&bars44

Occupation
Earthmoving
Hello all.

Well I bought my first loader today, sort of. Trying it out. It's a Cat 955L 85J serial. It's been sitting for several years. After some fresh batteries she fired up and does not smoke a bit. I couldn't get it to move and one pedal was on the floor. So after a can of WD40 on all the linkages and some movement everything seemed to work good. All 3 gears in both directions pull. The more I ran it around the better it started turning. All good things end, and after the lowboy came a few days later the right pedal still had to be pulled back up with your toe. It kept wanting to turn right randomly even with pedal up. Kinda hairy loading it...We moved it to a job and hour away. I wanted to service it and as I was driving it over to a shade tree it acted like the pedal was stomped hard to turn right. It was all the way up. I would throw it in reverse and it would back up a foot or so, then forward 2 feet and same thing. Any ideas on what to check other than really working the linkages over? Also as I was raising the arms to pull side covers off the lift cylinder hose blew. After we figured out what happened I cranked it to pull it up out of oil so we could lay under and it drove just fine about 15 feet while loading the bucket. Maybe it has to be warm to do it?? Any help you guys can send I would greatly appreciate it!

Kyle

stars&bars44

Occupation
Earthmoving
I wish it was. Although I did lock it on the lowboy...but I fiddled with it to make sure it was off. I'll check again in the morning.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not familiar with the 955L so I was trying to look in SIS to see if there was at least a "Systems Operation" that might give you some hints but as you can see there are a few different versions to pick from:

955K TRAXCAVATOR 85J00001-04671 (MACHINE)
955L TRAXCAVATOR 85J04672-06246 (MACHINE)
955L TRAXCAVATOR 85J06247-09509 (MACHINE)
955L TRAXCAVATOR 85J09510-UP (MACHINE)

Bluox

Adjust your brake up tight and see if your pedal comes up tight .If it does loosen adjuster 2 turns and step on pedal ,repeat and see if brake actuator frees up.
Bob

stars&bars44

Occupation
Earthmoving
Got the new hose on, pulled the side covers and floorboards and took her out for a spin. Still acting up. The linkage that activates the brake (im guessing pressing pedal softly takes power off track and a hard push apply brake to turn) is froze up. Took a hammer and knocked it back and drove it around and all seems fine. WD40 isn't freeing it up so I guess we will try to get pins out and lube it all up and try again tomorrow.

stars&bars44

Occupation
Earthmoving
Well we got her going again. Replaced hoses on left side lift cylinders. Ran 2 minutes and the other side blew out. So we got those off and replaced today. Sprayed the pedal linkages with some sea foam deep creep and worked them back and forth and after 10 min they started working great. Adjusted brakes up and she runs and turns good. Needs a bath, and some TLC and I think I have a good tractor.

petepilot

Well we got her going again. Replaced hoses on left side lift cylinders. Ran 2 minutes and the other side blew out. So we got those off and replaced today. Sprayed the pedal linkages with some sea foam deep creep and worked them back and forth and after 10 min they started working great. Adjusted brakes up and she runs and turns good. Needs a bath, and some TLC and I think I have a good tractor.
55l is one of the best tractors cat built j/m/o my favorite

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
Castle makes some penetrating oil that actually has some oil in it. Most of that stuff is a waste of time. Try mixing up some transmission fluid and acetone. Mix it 50/50 and use that on your linkages.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not sure if this will help but is supposed to the the adjustments for the Steering Clutches and brakes for the 955:

Attachments

• 955 steering an brake adj..pdf
    164.4 KB · Views: 39