• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yeah or nay?

AndyM

JCB 210, year unknown, 5K miles, one farmer owner, clean; is this a good machine and what is its value? I know that's a difficult call, but let's just say it's in good shape... Any comments? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Is that 5K miles, or hours? Post some images of the machine. What do you intend to do with it and will you maintain yourself? Serial number also helps.

AndyM

Sorry, I was working on the van (thinking cars and not TBL) and it's 5K hours, not miles (silly me). It's a play thing for an old guy (me) at my cabin; Dig holes, fill them, grade driveways, plant trees, some excavation for neighbors. Not gonna be out in the field (construction). Serial # is mostly (bad pics and poor eyes):
SLP214TCYU0900441.Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated (carpenter/contractor here who has only owned a JD410d before this possible one). I also don't know much about JBCs and this particular model.
Thanks.
AM

AndyM

Here's some pics

Attachments

• image000007.jpg
    image000007.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 33
  • image000005.jpg
    image000005.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 33

AndyM

I appreciate your inquiries Peter; no, I have not operated it yet (about a 6 hr drive away) and I hesitate to throw numbers around until a deal is done or not done. Simply said, if everything is as described, it is at fair market value (or a tad higher). Another option is to hire a local equipment mechanic to inspect it, which may be possible. My real query is whether a JCB with 5K hours is worth the investigation and expense. Can we/you tell what year this might be? Trying not be be evasive in my answers, just keeping a lid on things....
On another point, I have the opportunity to purchase a 1995 Ford 555c for $15K; open cab) but the only Ford backhoes I've seen have been in shops being worked on...
So, a thank you for reading all of this....

eKretz

I have a 1994 Ford 555D 4x4 that I bought for less than half that and it needed a bit of work, but nothing really major as far as I was concerned. (New front tires, a little electrical work). I don't expect it to, either. Buy something in good shape that's mechanically sound and take care of it, and it will usually take care of you. Skip out on maintenance and care and you get what you paid for...

And if the Ford you looked at was a 1995 it's not a C. If it was a C it's not a 1995...

Tinkerer

JCB's are not a good choice if you don't have a dealer nearby for support.
And, as far as I know, you cannot even get access to a parts book for them unless you go through a dealer.
I don't know if a dealer would sell you one or just allow you look at one on their computer screen.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
I have always tried to stay away from JCB’s from a parts and maintenance cost point but have operated a very new JCB exactly like the hoe in that pic back in the day.
It was a beautiful machine and was a pleasure to operate.
If it’s just a retirement toy, get it, you won’t be disappointed.
It will require some extra expense for maintenance but with the internal, parts and filters can be found.
It also looks in great shape, would put the value at around 18 to 22k for around here.
We do have an abundance of TLB on CL around here at the moment, I’m looking at a JD 410D 4x4 with all the glass blown out for 16k at the moment.

AndyM

I have a 1994 Ford 555D 4x4 that I bought for less than half that and it needed a bit of work, but nothing really major as far as I was concerned. (New front tires, a little electrical work). I don't expect it to, either. Buy something in good shape that's mechanically sound and take care of it, and it will usually take care of you. Skip out on maintenance and care and you get what you paid for...

And if the Ford you looked at was a 1995 it's not a C. If it was a C it's not a 1995...
Spot on eKretz; I looked up all that you said and the 555D's were made like between '92 and '95. The 555C's were made from '89 to 92' (close enough). As for maintenance, I've been a contractor for 40 years and taking care of one's tools almost guarantees a longer lifespan. I'm pretty OCD about making sure the T's are crossed...thank you for the sage advise

AndyM

I have always tried to stay away from JCB’s from a parts and maintenance cost point but have operated a very new JCB exactly like the hoe in that pic back in the day.
It was a beautiful machine and was a pleasure to operate.
If it’s just a retirement toy, get it, you won’t be disappointed.
It will require some extra expense for maintenance but with the internal, parts and filters can be found.
It also looks in great shape, would put the value at around 18 to 22k for around here.
We do have an abundance of TLB on CL around here at the moment, I’m looking at a JD 410D 4x4 with all the glass blown out for 16k at the moment.
Well, we do have 3 JCB dealerships within an hour or so, so that part is ok. TLB are in rare supply around here and people are selling them so they can buy islands in Panama. And not being an authority on anything 'TLB', I did own a '92 JD 410D 4 X 4 Turbo, extendahoe, with 1700 hours on it. Big and beautiful machine and I almost knew how to operate it I wasn't using it much and a rancher friend had great need for it (cattle and hay farmer) and in a soft moment, sold it to him.
The JCB's used to be made in England (I think) but this one is made in USA. I can find anything I want in Texas or Pennsylvania and only add $4-5K in shipping costs. Of course, thank you Harley, for your time and patience with this newbie..

AndyM

JCB's are not a good choice if you don't have a dealer nearby for support.
And, as far as I know, you cannot even get access to a parts book for them unless you go through a dealer.
I don't know if a dealer would sell you one or just allow you look at one on their computer screen.
Thank you tinkerer for this info; I will def keep this in mind and adjust my offer accordingly...

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
These day's it's best for you to get eyes on the machine before you make any deal. If you can't get over there to see it, ask for as many very, very, specific images of the machine as you can and even video, and even better yet, as you suggested have a mechanic go and look at it. How much is shipping? Seems like a nice machine, and I don't think for what you are doing the hours are an issue. Of course you may need to do the usual replacement of a few hydraulic hoses, install a new seat, and do engine maintenance.

TCat

Occupation
Fleet Manager On My Island Of Misfit Toys
Some farmers ( just like some contractors) don’t take very good care of their stuff and cut a lot of corners on maintenance and repairs. Just a consideration. For me in most instances I’d rather buy a machine from a large contractor or government agency that has a large mechanic/maintenance department or who subs maintenance and repairs out to a reputable dealer or contractor. I‘ve even had good luck with buying prior United Rentals equipment with low hours and called UR to find out the repair history on my machine.

That‘s not to say any particular owner can’t do great maintenance or repairs themselves. IMO.

AndyM

I appreciate your inquiries Peter; no, I have not operated it yet (about a 6 hr drive away) and I hesitate to throw numbers around until a deal is done or not done. Simply said, if everything is as described, it is at fair market value (or a tad higher). Another option is to hire a local equipment mechanic to inspect it, which may be possible. My real query is whether a JCB with 5K hours is worth the investigation and expense. Can we/you tell what year this might be? Trying not be be evasive in my answers, just keeping a lid on things....
On another point, I have the opportunity to purchase a 1995 Ford 555c for $15K; open cab) but the only Ford backhoes I've seen have been in shops being worked on...
So, a thank you for reading all of this....
Update on the Ford 555C; reseller who knew his stuff (good guy) but the machine was almost salvage. Loose pins, knocking engine, leaks everywhere, but good tires... I passed on it.... (easily)