• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ya gotta ask the "dumb" questions sometimes

54j

on my old 1972 d5.the fuel pressure gauge.......is that related to the volume of fuel in the tank? ie full empty? appreciate you setting me straight.

bobin35

No it is the actual fuel pressure measured at the pump,if it goes low enough in the tank it will go down on the gauge but by then its to late,your out of fuel.

54j

thank you.that makes sense.i was way low in the tank and i noticed the fuel pressure gauge in the red...thanks

Komatsu 150

The biggest reason they used to install fuel pressure gauges was to monitor condition of the fuel filters. Once you get used to what is normal on the gauge it is easy to tell when filters are getting plugged up long before there is a problem.

On edit: if the fuel pressure is in the red and engine is still running, there is generally something else going on besides just low fuel, maybe plugged filters or a bad pump.

Last edited:

54j

ok.thanks for that..i'll take it a bit more seriously and look into it.......thank you very much