• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

WW II German U-Boat model

td25c

It's not a dirt moving machine ,but I have always had an intrest in submarines.I built a model U-boat out of parts & stuff we had around the shop.The pressure hull is an air tank off a truck and the drive motors are 12 volt dc current heater motors.It pulls us around in a small "john boat" as it uses a umbilical cord of electric & air lines that go from the sub to the boat.The power source is a 12 volt battery and a air tank in the boat.We named it "U-505" after the U-boat at the museum of science & industry in Chicago IL.Its an awsome story & exhibit , www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/ Here are a few pics of myself & buddy matt testing out the model U-boat.Matt's at the controls and 25c is in the water making necessary ballast adjustments.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,510
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 800
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 786

td25c

Dive , Dive !

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 745
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 759

td25c

Here are a few pics of it in "dry dock" In the therd pic it shows the vents at the bottom of the ballast tanks that allow water to enter in order to submerge.Then to surface the boat we blow the tanks with compressed air from the john boat.

Attachments

• U boat 007.jpg
    U boat 007.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 754
  • U boat 006.jpg
    U boat 006.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 776
  • U boat 004.jpg
    U boat 004.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 810

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Those look like blower motors on it, no? They also look like they are open. How does this work? I'd have predicted they would short and not work.

td25c

They are blower motors Steve.They dont "short" out due to the DC current.I first learned this as a youngster doing recoverys with the wrecker.A car or truck would go in the water after dark and the lights would still be on under the water.

td25c

Yep ATCO,no danger of overheating the drive motors on the sub as they are water cooled.The big problem is if we run out of air to surface the boat!

JDOFMEMI

looks like fun

I like the balast tanks. I notice you even have counter rotating props on it to keep things in balance.

Pretty neat.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Very cool! I'd have never guessed that about the motors, I've always thought the lights worked because they were sealed.

I think, what he means is the "current" is still flowing from battery, thru lights, and back to battery ground making the lights burn. No short circuits of the DC electrical current that would interupt the lights while under water. Whereas, AC current would short circuit underwater because it "alternates" the load and neutral between two wires at 60 cycles a second. Does that sound about right?

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Gotcha, you are talking about the lights are able to "remain burning" because water has not touched the filament, not the flow of the current through the lights. Your point is, if water touched the filament, then pffft, lights go out. Now we're on the same page. :D

It is interesting nonetheless. Electricity, whether AC or DC, is searching for ground. It flows through conductors looking for ground. Water is a conductor. Yet, in the case with the motors, water does not "steal" the flow of current going through the motors, even though water is a conductor. I assume it would be because the brushes in the motors still make a good enough connection to the copper conductors of the commutator on the armature that the current still follows the path of the copper wiring of the circuit and motors back the the battery, ground. Therefore, water has no effect, and 25c makes his sub swim. Cool! :cool:

cannoneer

Electricity generally follows the path of least resistance. In this case the motors are lower ohms than the water.

To change the resistance throw some salt in the water, or kick the voltage up say stick a running engine spark plug wire in the water he he. Lightning is DC and pretty much goes where it wants.

AC matters more in electrocution as the frequency can disrupt the heartbeat. 2KV and a couple of amps is old sparkys magic.

td25c

Thanks for the comments Steve,ATCO,cannoneer,& good eye on the counter rotating props JDOFMEMI.This crazy project started out on a friday night in the winter of 2001 .Myself and a few buddy's got to talking about submarines in the shop that evening over a few barley sodas.We planned on building full scale 3 man sub and we tabled the meeting after deciding to build a model & check the water out.Here are a few pics of the controll panel.Nothing fancy,just plywood ,volt gauge,0 to 15 psi pressure gauge,& valves & electric switches.We are easily entertained.

Attachments

• U boat 002.jpg
    U boat 002.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 696
  • U boat 003.jpg
    U boat 003.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
This crazy project started out on a friday night in the winter of 2001 .Myself and a few buddy's got to talking about submarines in the shop that evening over a few barley sodas.We planned on building full scale 3 man sub and we tabled the meeting after deciding to build a model & check the water out.Here are a few pics of the controll panel.Nothing fancy,just plywood ,volt gauge,0 to 15 psi pressure gauge,& valves & electric switches.We are easily entertained.

25c...that story is redneck as hell, and I love it! :notworthy

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Gotcha, you are talking about the lights are able to "remain burning" because water has not touched the filament, not the flow of the current through the lights. Your point is, if water touched the filament, then pffft, lights go out. Now we're on the same page. :D

It is interesting nonetheless. Electricity, whether AC or DC, is searching for ground. It flows through conductors looking for ground. Water is a conductor. Yet, in the case with the motors, water does not "steal" the flow of current going through the motors, even though water is a conductor. I assume it would be because the brushes in the motors still make a good enough connection to the copper conductors of the commutator on the armature that the current still follows the path of the copper wiring of the circuit and motors back the the battery, ground. Therefore, water has no effect, and 25c makes his sub swim. Cool! :cool:

I found that out by wrecking an Skater offshore boat in 1988 the pumps still ran even though underwater for hours:Banghead. No clue how the batteries lasted that long either. Had to tow it back 85% under water and lift it at a marina which was 4-5 hours for 3 batteries and three fuel pumps.

Cool sub:drinkup

Last edited: