• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

WTB older B/H with less electronics

miner19562003

New member here,first post.Looking to operate in a VERY remote part of Alaska for next summer for about 60 days or 4-500 hrs,hopefully without a breakdown,would like to increase my chances of success by not buying something infested with electronics,sensors,complicated wiring etc,would like a machine that is more purely mechanical,yet not so old as to be a piece of junk.I'm leaning towards a Case mid 80's maybe a D or E.What do u guys think,is there a balance here between old and new,a machine that hits the sweet spot? I'll prepare with some mechanical spares,starter alternator,hyd hoses,belts,fuel pump,but I cannot prepare for electronic gremlins.Nothing is guananteed,I know,just trying to beat the odds here.Recommendations?
Thanks in advance

JL Sargent

You mention Case, but another to consider would be the last backhoe JD made without a computer and that is a 310E. I few of us here have this backhoe. Certainly more expensive than a mid 80s model though.

Delmer

Yes, you can get newer than mid 80's with no computers. And I would get as new as possible, depending on the condition of the individual ones you find. Not a lot of small municipal or cemetery machines, but there are some if you can find them.

What kind of work are you planning to do? would an excavator, dump truck, wheel loader be a better fit?

JL Sargent

Here is a 310E. These were build around year 2000.
s-l1600.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The 2000 vintage tractors would be my recommendation. I own a 2000 new holland 675e, and it is not loaded with computers, but is new enough that most parts I have needed are either in stock or delivered to my house in a couple of days.