• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wrong transmission oil in backhoe

Bala

One of the machines i look after is a new Holland LB90 backhoe and it has been running ATF for most of its life,

It is not the correct oil but the trans runs fine,

Do i change it out for the correct oil, bearing in mind i would have to fill and drain a few times and then still probably have a bit of a mix,

or do I just leave it on ATF?

Bala

The question is more an oil tech question relating to the changing of oil types in a transmission and the mixing of oil types, that why I posted here.

Cheers

max

Bala

The book we have lists the various options for this mode and that includes 2 different transmissions, one runs a transmission oil, and one runs ATF.
Without identifying what trans it is the boys here have simply assumed or seen ATF in the book so that is what it has been run on, it has 9000hrs now and has probably been on atf for most of that time.
I had planned to change it for the correct oil but as it runs and changes fine I am thinking I will just leave it on atf instead of worrying about changing flushing etc.

(Fly home to qld on sunday for two weeks:)

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
From what I can see on the parts listing on this model, there is powershift & shuttle models. Even the powershift has two different types, between early & later models. One of the powershift models is a Clark Hurth (same as Case use) - It definitely uses Dexron 3.
You really need to ascertain what the machine has in it .....

Bala

I had determined that it has a power shuttle and my manual that would have been supplied with the machine only lists one power shuttle oil, it lists atf for the powershift,

Trans: 16234A0716729 is the id for transmission if it means anything to anyone?