• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wrech for transmission and hydraulic filter.

emmett518

John Deere 310 l backhoe.

What wrench do I use to remove the transmission filter and the hydraulic filter?

It seems that you have to get the transmission filter from underneath, as there is no room around it for a normal wrench.

The hydraulic filter is just plain huge. I've never seen an oil filter wrench at the auto parts store that big.

Thanks

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I woulda thought a 310 had a cartridge. The same one they use forever on JD. I had one in the yard yesterday but its gone and I worked on it and never noticed it was different????

JD955SC

OTC makes three sizes of band wrenches that you use with a 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar. Costs like $30-40 to get all three of them. They are my favorite oil filter wrenches.

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
Home Depot sells a strap wrench (Husky) that has worked well for me the band is made of stout rubber that grabs really well.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
It’s hard to get by with just one strap wrench. Need about a dozen of them to fit every scenario. But, if stranded on a desert island and could only have one, it would be the Caterpillar 185-3630. Preferably, the older domestic made ones. My new one says China on it. It’s not built as well as the originals.

hosspuller

The CAT dealer sells the wrench Coaldust mentioned... About $12 works well on my 310C and other Deere machines. Doesn't crush the can as some other strap wrenches do.

56wrench

the webbing on my 30yr old cat strap wrench is heavier than the one on my brother-in-law's new cat strap wrench:rolleyes:

emmett518

Now why is that not a surprise.? My Cat strap wrench came out of a D8K tool kit back in the 70s and it still works just as good today as it did back then.
You know, you really need a D11 carry dozer. Time to upgrade! More power!

We have to keep the economy rolling.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Was there a Cat grease gun in there with it ?
I can't remember when cat quit providing grease guns with new machines. :(
According to the attachment there would have been. I'm not sure what happened to it, I've slept a few times since then. Oh for the days when operators were not only competent to service their own tractors but actually did .........

Attachments

• Hand Tool Gp.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 8

Tyler d4c

I woulda thought a 310 had a cartridge. The same one they use forever on JD. I had one in the yard yesterday but its gone and I worked on it and never noticed it was different????
Your right just need a 3/4 whatever you prefer

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Napa also sells a full line of bigger steel band 1/2 drive filter wrenches, I've got one that will fit air dryer cartridges.