• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Worth the buy?

nstclair09

Someone I know is selling this caterpillar grader for $2k and in looking to see if it's worth it.

It starts but being told it's bull gear? Is bad?

Not sure what model this machine is and if it's worth the buy. Thoughts?20230818_145447.jpg

Attachments

• 20230818_145436.jpg
    20230818_145436.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20230818_145434.jpg
    20230818_145434.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28

skyking1

If you don't know a thing about the machinery then I would pass on it. If you fix your own stuff and need a grader for trimming up a long gravel road, etc, then consider it and take some better pictures, and the serial number plate.

nstclair09

If you don't know a thing about the machinery then I would pass on it. If you fix your own stuff and need a grader for trimming up a long gravel road, etc, then consider it and take some better pictures, and the serial number plate.

So I know the owner of it. Said he was using it one day and it died on him, could start it back up but when put in gear it would die. He had a guy look at it and was told it was the bull gear.

I'll see if I can find the serial number. I'm needing a grader for a new 9 acre industrial property I'm purchasing.

Does it roll? Can you run the controls on it if you leave it in neutral?
So I'm going to get batteries for it tomorrow and fire it up. Said that when it died, it died when driving. Says it'll start up no problem and idle up. But when you release the clutch it dies. Can move blade around and rolls in neutral. It's a Cat 12

Attachments

• 20230818_155741.jpg
    20230818_155741.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums NSC! Glad to have you.

As far as the grader that starts for $2K? It's probably worth that or more in scrap so if you want a project you can't really be out more than the cost to move it to your place then the scrap yard. Worst case scenario a wash, best case you spend some time and money on it and it becomes a nice older, workable grader.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
If someone offered me an old Cat 12 in that condition for $2K, I'd be on it in a flash. The engine is worth $4K alone.

Even if the bull gear is stripped, it's not a huge amount of work to replace it, and there'd be plenty of used parts available.

I'd examine the chain cases first to see if a chain has broken and piled up between the case housing and sprocket. That will certainly stop it from moving.

I'll be honest with ya guys, I dont know cr@p about working on this stuff lol not saying I couldn't figure it out. But I own a Trucking company and purchasing a transloading facility as we speak

Sits on a 9 acre industrial property. I need a grader to redo the whole property and figured this may be a good deal for $2k.

I'm gona get new batteries for it tomorrow and make sure it starts up first and I'll report back with my finding on it.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
It's not rocket science and you don't need a Masters in Engineering to figure them out - just a parts book and Service Manual - and if you've worked on trucks, the engineering and the parts that break, are just the same as on trucks - only heavier and more costly! LOL

I knew a guy who was a heavy equipment fitter, and he threw that job in, to work on trucks.
When I saw him later and asked how he was going, he replied, "I threw in heavy equipment repairs and thought I'd go onto trucks - because nothing much ever goes wrong with them! How wrong I was!!" LOL

What I'd do, first up - before you move it - and for the cost of a couple of hours work, maybe some gaskets and perhaps some oil - is;

1. Unbolt the plates on the chain cases and check to see that the chains are intact and haven't broken. You should be able to check the chains and sprockets reasonably easy with a small flashlight and perhaps a mirror on a stick to see right up the chain case.

If you have a modern borescope/inspection camera with a flexible wand, that's a bonus.
If the chains are intact and look all operational, move on to #2.

2. Drain the final drive oil (the final drive is like a tractor final drive, right underneath the rear of the engine, you access it from underneath, at the back) - the drain plug is at the rear, on the big plate.

Once the final drive oil is drained, unbolt the plate and you can inspect the entire final drive.
The Cat grader final drive is just like a double reduction truck differential - only it doesn't have a diff, it's solid drive to both axles.

There's a pinion coming off the back of the gearbox, this drives a big ring gear, and the ring gear shaft has a small straight-cut pinion gear on it.
This small straight-cut pinion gear drives the big straight-cut bullgear that you can see, immediately you remove the backplate.

If there's any damage to the final drive, this will be apparent immediately. If there's no damage to any of those gears, then the problem will be further back up the drive train, in the transmission.

It's not the first time the gear selector mechanism has worn on a transmission, and two gears have been engaged at once, locking up the transmission.
However, that normally occurs when gear-changing is being undertaken, and mostly happens when the machine is stopped and gears are being selected.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It's not rocket science and you don't need a Masters in Engineering to figure them out - just a parts book and Service Manual
Here's the references for the Parts Manual and the O&M. Although both show it as being a No.12 the Cat Number Index says it's a 12E.

Here's a link to a Service Manual on eBay

1692440889047.png
1692440921000.png

Delmer

Everything Ozdozer says in post #12, pay attention to if those points have been opened up recently or not, to see whether the guy who said the bull gear was bad had checked or not.

Jonas302

Decent price for a collector
Poor value if your taking time away from your trucking business to fix an antique grader to learn how to grade and slope a 9 acre lot