• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

worth rebuilding?

chasman

Occupation
maintenance tech
Here's a few pics of my latest disaster that I am thinking of tackling. Something caught fire on this baby and it might be too far gone but maybe somebody could give me a bit of advice. I got it to fire up after replacing the starter but it will only run by squirting ether down the throat, the injector pump is leaking fuel at the backside and will not build pressure.

sad thing as I had just replaced the seat and arm cushions and rebuilt the head just a year or two ago. Sad stuff...

Attachments

• burnedcat1.JPG
    burnedcat1.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 1,316
  • DSCF1241.JPG
    DSCF1241.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,317
  • DSCF1243.JPG
    DSCF1243.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,319
  • DSCF1246.JPG
    DSCF1246.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,329
  • DSCF1252.JPG
    DSCF1252.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 1,317

HeyUvaVT

that looks fun...i would most defintely tackle that if you have the knowledge and time!

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
it probably melted what ever seals or soft metal in the injection pump but not knowing how hot it got can't tell you for sure but that would be my guess copper aluminum melt at pretty low temps compared to steel

chasman

Occupation
maintenance tech
I have it in a shed since it happened, just finishing up some other projects from last fall and I am considering tackling this one. The fire sems to be mostly concentrated on the right side, looks like it started near the fuel tank and spread forward along the fuel line. Here's a partial list of what is gone, right side cylinders, almost all the hydraulic hoses, alternator, starter, belts, battery, all the wiring, injector pump, fuel filter and priming assembly, seating, dash, air filter, torque converter mountings to the engine.

I am figuring five thousand dollars in parts, just not sure if the machine is really worth all the work?

Turbo21835

Wait for scrap prices to go back up and take her to the scrap yard. A burned machine is never the same. They usually end up being nothing but trouble

swampdog

How is the undercarriage? It also must have lots of other good parts left on it.

Is that a 941? If so, you should be able to find another machine of the same model for a good price. If you can do so, buy another one and use this one for parts.

Last edited:

chasman

Occupation
maintenance tech
It's a 951C. I was also thinking it might be better to buy another one just like it and use this one for parts. The undercarriage was not the greatest, the bucket arms are pretty sloppy but it worked fine for pushing cedar. I did a recoil spring a few years back and resealed the adjuster on one side, it dropped a valve a few years back so I rebuilt the head and replaced a piston and sleeve. I have seen a few just like it and they were asking right around 15K but not sure if that was a good price. I'd love to find one with a blown engine, trans, bevel gears or final drives as I'm sure I could salvage something off of this one. I tried selling it for scrap last fall before the bottom fell out but nobody wanted to break it up. I would have had to do that myself in order for them to take it. I know it's gotta be worth a lot for parts as I paid $3000 for a final drive for an old D5 some time back.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Don't forget selling the machine to a equipment salvage yard, sometimes thats your best bet in a situation like that.

Salvage yards might also have a lead on a machine with the blown engine that your looking for.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
How hot did the engine get? To hot and the iron in the block will crystalize when it cools back down. Did it get put out with water? That will mess it up even worse.

Red Bank

Can you pinpoint what exactly caused the fire? Was it fuel, electrical or hydraulic problem that caused it? How long did it burn before it was extinguished? I think Greg and me are thinking along the same lines as trying to figure out how hot it got, this will help determine how much damage is really there. Just trying to help.

chasman

Occupation
maintenance tech
It burned for at least a half hour, enough time for the VFD to get there and they used a bunch of water to put the fire down but I think most of it was pumped down into the bellypan as that's where the fire was concentrated. I had just cleaned the pans a few weeks before all this happened but I had a major hydraulic leak a few days before all this happened and I feel it is what fed the fire for the most part. As far as what started it I'mleaning towards a shorted battery cable, we were just running it to another field to clear cedar and that's when it happened. The fire extinguisher was AWOL at the time of the fire so that didn't help matters one bit.

I have learned my lesson on that and have bolted in good sized ABC rated fire extinguisher on all the rest of the equipment so hpefully this won't happen again. I have a halon extinguisher on the newest machine but know they are bad stuff so not sure what else would be better.

Red Bank

I dont know, I was trying to imagine what if that happened to my 955. Judging from the pictures if it was me I would repair it, but then again, I have been known to be crazy like that:beatsme. Turbo is right sometimes a burnt machine will never be like it was, but with this machine you don't have any electronics to deal with. Besides if you spend the money for parts and it doesn't work out, part everything out? And have you found any used parts anywhere you could buy,steal or borrow?

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
burn that long and put out with water? I would say that the block is junk at this point.

Russelln

Occupation
Electronics Engineer & Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
Even if you were to try to salvage it it will turn into a rust bucket and those metals will be weak now if they got that hot and sprayed down with water like that.

muddobber

Occupation
welder,machinist,mechanic, underground coal mines
A few years back I spent 3 winters on a case about the same shape. It was everything new or used put in from the converter forward. When I started to overhaul the engine the oil had got hot and set up in the oil passages. I had to take a steamer and tie wire clean all of them out. After all that It was a constant problem with leaking from what parts I had reused due to distortion I guess. Ended up watching it go home with someone who knew more, had more time, and money than me. Talked to him a year back he said he spent couple of thousand on top of what I spent then sold it for salvage.

chasman

Occupation
maintenance tech
I'm starting to get second thoughts about trying to revive it, think I'll try and find either another 951 or possibly upgrade to a 953. I got a good ten years or so out of this 951 so guess maybe it is time to let her go.

Another question though, I have seen a few 955's at good prices but was wondering if there are any similarities between them and the 951 as far as having any use between them parts wise?

Komatsu 150

I think there are good 955s out there. They are a beast compared to a 951. No matter how good they are the problem is usually that the tracks are worn out and that's why the price is good. I don't know that you could do a proper track job on a 955 for even $15,000.00. I haven't bought tracks for ours for a long time so I'm probably way low at that.

Cat951C

I recently purchased a Cat 951C and need some assistance about replacing the clutch fluid and the mechanical clutch adjustment.
1. Where can I find the drain plug for the clutch fluid? Is it directly under the seat where the fluid stick and refill tube are located?
2. I have been told to run 30W oil. Is this correct?
3. Where can i find the linkage for the mechanical adjustments?

I'm in the process of trying to obtain a manual, but I need to correct this as soon as possible. It takes about 10 seconds for the clutch to activate for both pedals. The fluid shows full, but it is milky and almost a water consistancy.

Thanks ahead of time.
Dean

chasman

Occupation
maintenance tech
I have never been into the clutch and brakes on mine and since it burned I doubt if I will ever be but I think the fill tube and dipstick is under the seat. You need to get that oil changed out the sooner the better.

I know you just got it but if you decide to get rid of it just let me know as I'm looking for another one and you're plenty close to me.

Oh yeah and welcome to the Heavy Equipment Forums!!