• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

worlds largest pull type

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
something wrong here. Says link is broken. Any ideas?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Ok, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here.

I get that pull type pans are suppose to be more versatile, less expensive, and cut down on support equipment (ie pushcats). So that being said... how is this any more efficient than a 651? It's still being pushed by a big cat, and has 4 more tires than a self propelled unit. With most tractor pan's you can always mutli task the tractor and switch to a disc or drag box, with the ADT hooked up like a gooseneck I think it would be hard and time consuming to switch it to anything else.

Just my opinion, but maybe this model pull pan is too big for it's own good?

Last edited:

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
I'd also kinda like to play devils advocate. I am by no means a buggy man, but with that KTEC scraper and buying a 740.... aren't you well on the way to buyin a 621?, and if your going to run the pushcat......well there's your 627/37 or whatever you need. I know everyone hates conventional scrapers but there is something kinda sexy about a spread of twin engines.

d9gdon

I'm going to second that thought, just look at the last couple of seconds of the video when the clod of dirt falls off and looks like it hits it. I don't think that would last in rocky applications.

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
Actually, I kinda like that set-up. Lots of weight & horsepower going for it; to get it loaded anyway. The bad part is that the loaded K-Tec weighs more than the tow vehicle.... ain't no way it's going to pull a steeper, soft grade with that load (whatever they claim... 54 cy?) attached, a conventional tandem scraper of similar capacity would pull the similar payload, no problem, because all of the gross weight is located atop driven wheels... not wheels in tow.
Just because the K-Tec is big doesn't negate the laws of physics; it's still got to pull that tremendous payload; and I'd bet that the Artic Truck can't pull it effectively, nor could a farm tractor.... unless the work area was extremely flat and hard; never the conditions here anyway.
Besides that, the purchase of such a pricey rig would be certain economic suicide for me.

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
I think the 740 is superior to a normal scraper for hauling distances in between sites to a confidential scraper. Quicker haul speeds? And if one 740 breaks, just hook up another.

clansing1

Devil's Advocate

I think it would work in the right conditions (soil type, dry soil, solid haul road, long haul, etc.) I think a lot can and will go wrong. I think they are pushing the limits and not using the ADT for what it was designed to do. I would be concern about the transmission and rear ends on the ADT.

Just my 2 cents and I am not an expert by any means.

hvy 1ton

Does anyone else feel like something is off if the ktec is supposed to haul 11 cubic yards MORE than this?

D11R_651E pull pan_pretty new_small.JPG

That said, I think a Bell scraper tractor with a 30cu yd gooseneck pan would work sweet striping topsoil.

JASONM

Occupation
Const Co owner
Nope. I feel like you do. The best thing that K-Tec has got going for it is the big push-cat behind it, helping it get a full load. Kinda like trying to "sandpaper a Wildcat's azz".......... Once you get started, whatcha gonna do with it??...... Other than have a miserable day!:beatsme

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
I think the 740 is superior to a normal scraper for hauling distances in between sites to a confidential scraper. Quicker haul speeds? And if one 740 breaks, just hook up another.

How is that 740 gonna have the haul speed a big twin engine rig does? That pan is competing with a 657....

Like I have said before I'm not a scraper guy, but when you have 50yds with 415hp from the 740 in front of it.... compared to 1100hp in the 657 what happens when you hit soft ground, a pile....or a brisk wind?

I know a 657 is a lot of cash, but are these little wiggle wagons gonna move dirt at the price a twin will? And is that a standard 740?, I can't imagine if your truck breaks down your gonna pull a box off and throw a 5th wheel on and go to town.

Someone Educate me lol. I work for a company that just throws twins at everything without question so I would like to learn about the other ways.

DPete

You could push it with Deere's high speed dozer then you'd have a whole string of wannabees all working together.

I hear that the transmissions in those trucks aren't a good fit for pull-scrapers either. Geared up too high and not designed for pulling. I guess it doesn't matter because the crawler is doing most of the work in the cut.

DPete

Hate to keep pickin on it but why would anybody put small wheels like that on a 50 yd. scraper? Hit a little soft spot with dual small wheels like that and they'll just lock up and stick ya.

JASONM

Occupation
Const Co owner
WHAT?? ......... Y'all didn't hear??:eek:.............. all of those farm-tractor/ artic truck towed pull pans haul over 50 cubic yards/ cycle!!!!:Banghead:D......... and go places that a conventional twin-scraper never dare!;)

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Farm tractors and pans are cheap to buy and oporate but only designed to pull farm impliments not pans, thats why you see 5000hr tractor combo's all around the net for sale because the tractors are punched out and beat.
A scraper is more money because they get the 30 000 hr life span with minimal repair.
K teck has a good system for the tractors because they don't put tongue weight on the hitches which reduces stress on the fragile tractor. But you are pulling 50 cubes of dead weight with no weight on the tractor so you weight the crap out of the tractor for the traction, leaves you with more fuel consumption and more weight.

I have thought about the adt setup and I think that it can be handy but when you look at spending that much money on a adt and a pan i think you would be better off to go to rb auction and buy a 37.

When i was working with richardson bro's const they demo'd some of the k tec stuff and the sales man said that the adt conversion would only take half a day to swap between the box and the pan.
Another thing that i couldnt justify this for is the fact that if you are going to be using a pan to haul behind a truck why not just use a truck or a scraper, sompthing designed better for it,not some half breed idea.

I would like to see a adt with a box on it and a hitch type pan to pull behind so you have weight on the truck and you could haul double the load by toploading bolth the truck and scraper with an excavator, and when the job is nearly finnished you can use just the pan to cut and fill.

To me I just cant see that this will become economical .

windrow

I myself grew up with twin engine scrapers, they actually require a fair amount of skill compared to the monkeyseat operations today. especially push pulling , im my experience in the right conditions. nothing , and i mean nothin hauls dirt the way a couple of push pull scrapers W/nonidiot Operators can. i just posted this, because people in the upper midwest are headed this way w/ ktec type scrapers. a 34yd ktec costs @+$130000 now to me thas alot of money for somethin without a engine. Just my Two Cents.