• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

working under skid steer safely

Brad Orr

First time owning Bobcat 2006 t190 and would like advise on how to work safely underneath it at home, thanks. It has a fuel leak and I wanted to see if the plug was leaking or if it has a hole in the tank.

hosspuller

Hey Brad … Welcome to HEF. I use the "new post" button to check in. When you post in multiple places the same question, it clutters up the results. I'd appreciate your restraint.

Working safely under any load is several things.
A stable, level surface. Concrete pad is best, but gravel/dirt is sometimes the only option.
A wide base for the load holder. Goes without saying a jack alone is stupid. ( I like wood block cribbing, stacked log cabin style. Wide, stable, slip resistant) The width of the base is proportioned to the height. A single 6x6 is great for a 6 inch lift. Not so much for a 36 inch lift. Automotive style jack stands aren't usually rated for HE. Besides, metal to metal is slippery. but if you must, a wood block helps.
Always minimize a fall failure. Any jack can fail. But if you crib as you jack, A single one inch of drop is not as damaging as a one foot drop.

Above all else, use the lump between your shoulders. If it looks unstable, it is unstable.

Jonas302

dig a little trench to drive over it you have the room or drive up on some nice wide timbers Never worked on one of those but usually not much under a skiddy to look at

DIYDAVE

Coupla ramps anna coupla large timbers, say 8X8, or 10X10 should be stable enough. AS others have said, a level pad underneath, and use your head, you should be OK...;)