• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

working in the city 2

345cl

Occupation
excavator operator in the sewer bussiness
as the lovely weather rolled in the fun began we got 25 cm in total that nite
who says ya cant fun and work at the same time,,,:)

Attachments

• DSC00040.jpg
    DSC00040.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00042.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,035
  • DSC00045.jpg
    DSC00045.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,035
  • DSC00047.jpg
    DSC00047.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,049
  • DSC00048.jpg
    DSC00048.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,081

dayexco

don't you worry about that pavement that's undermined over the worker's in the excavation caving off and hurting them? i'm kind of wondering if you shouldn't remove those pics? canada have like an osha?

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
we do have an osha, however it looks to be that the ground is pretty solidly frozen with -25 celculis. however again what they dont know wont hurt them

you said you guys have been booked up to december.. are you picking up some of the goverment infastructure money jobs?

dayexco

we do have an osha, however it looks to be that the ground is pretty solidly frozen with -25 celculis. however again what they dont know wont hurt them

would frozen ground cave and undermine as seen in those pictures? and if so, those chunks would do a LOT of damage to anyone in the hole. it might not hurt osha, but very well could hurt the people subjected to that hazard.

Last edited by a moderator:

345cl

Occupation

you said you guys have been booked up to december.. are you picking up some of the goverment infastructure money jobs?

ya they invested alot of money here for the roads and sewers so they say for the next few years its going to be incredibly busy,,it hasnt reached the high preak yet but the works coming out alot,,im grateful that we work strictly on contracts for the city,,,,

345cl

Occupation
would frozen ground cave and undermine as seen in those pictures? and if so, those chunks would do a LOT of damage to anyone in the hole. it might not hurt osha, but very well could hurt the people subjected to that hazard.

i appreciate your concern ,,but we dont put ourselfs in that situation,,take a good look at what your discribing,,noy that i havr to justify myself to you but in different parts of north america,call for differnt means of work,,if the ground was any more solid we'd need a hammer second of all this is a freak white out which im sure you know all about and third of all if you come up here or anywere in canada for that matter they will tell you its they way things go ,,,,if your not happy with these pictures then dont look at them !!!
there put here for people to enjoy not write a complaint columm,,ive seen alot worse then this,,

dayexco

i wasn't complaining, it was an observation....you go ahead and do things how you want! :drinkup

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt

Occupation
Farmer
i wasn't complaining, it was an observation....you go ahead and do things how you want! :drinkup

What you are seeing is partially an optical illusion. It is simply because the snow is not on that area of the cut that it looks more cut in than it actually. The soil type on the island of Montreal is a very heavy clay and it will stay pretty well put even if you do a straight vertical side wall. This is only exasperated by the cold making the soil hard as rock. Those workers were in no danger I'm sure.

As far as having no Osha, that is correct. That does not mean we don't have laws governing workers safety in Canada. For you to think that is ignorant and rather insulting.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/labour/workplace_health/index.shtml

That is the government website for the Workplace Health and Safety regulations.

Now you know.

Warren

Great photos btw. Is this still the lower Atwater job?

Warren

leeroy

Occupation
Plant Operator
Gday. Just wondering about backfilling the trench with all that snow around.Im guessing that you remove the snow from the trench otherwise it would turn to slop.Jeez thats pretty extreme digging holes -25 to bloody cold for me.Another thing,how do the machines cope with cold weather like you get there.Where i work we are on the other end of the scale,trying to keep the gear running in extreme heat,plus 40 Celsius on the surface and up to 65 celcius down the bottom of the pit.

dayexco

What you are seeing is partially an optical illusion.

For you to think that is ignorant and rather insulting.

Now you know.

Warren

Warren

an optical illusion?....cool, ignorant? maybe of your canadian occupational safety and health law, yes....if you look on the pics on the other thread, it appears that a 4" gas main is hanging in the air, maybe it's abandoned? who knows? that the case, i think it would be cut out of the way. it is not supported next to an excavation that even in type b soil would not meet US osha requirements, "should" that wall collapse, not only are you contending with the cave in, but a very good chance you're going to rupture that what i am assuming is a gas main....again, i UNDERSTAND, that it is in canada. and i TOLD him i wasn't complaining, just making an observation. undermined concrete paving, is just that...there's nothing supporting that slab. were/if there a shear point there, it would be down in the hole, frozen soil, or not. maybe your response is a showing of your ignorance on the proper methods to secure an excavation as not to create a hazard to workers or property. i only mentioned posting those pics for his benefit. again, i am not aware of canadian occupational safety and health regulations....but i know many employers in the US would CRINGE were they to know that there were pictures of blatant OSHA violations posted on the internet of their projects.

catd8t

Occupation
bulldozer excuvator operator
tough it out i love operating but i also love laying pipe theirs always something to do its never boring, i cant wait to get off layoffs and go back to work im antsy this spring weather is making this not working crap harder

JDecker

I hear you about not working we just went back this week and it felt so good i think i would have worked for free.

345cl

Occupation
Gday. Just wondering about backfilling the trench with all that snow around.Im guessing that you remove the snow from the trench otherwise it would turn to slop.Jeez thats pretty extreme digging holes -25 to bloody cold for me.Another thing,how do the machines cope with cold weather like you get there.Where i work we are on the other end of the scale,trying to keep the gear running in extreme heat,plus 40 Celsius on the surface and up to 65 celcius down the bottom of the pit.

this is pretty much the breaking point for us the machine will start but of course working it is another story,,i dont run the shovel to hard in these conditions or run it at full pin,,we take it easy with everything,,as far as the snow goes on the stone if theres just a little bit then we'll just leave it,it helps the compaction test,,besides the inspector is there for the testing all day with us,,belive though at the end of the day it goos to havea nice warm coffee,,thats pretty interesting what yuo told me about australia,,ive always wanted to work there,,send some pics if you have have a great day:)