• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working in a winter wonderland

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I made a couple videos today of a new type of amusement park just being started here. We had a pretty wet summer so the contractor decided to dig this man made lake or pond while there is some frost in the ground so they can use they're old Cat 631's and newer D8T with GPS. The displaced earth is being used to build a hill for tubing and I think tobogganing as well the lake is suppose to be for bathing and wakeboarding I guess this is all being directed towards an extreme sports type of crowd. So I thought I'd make a couple videos the crew is working around the clock so frost doesn't become to unmanageable and so they can be finished this portion of the project by Christmas.

YouTube - D8T pushloading 631's
YouTube - Winter time dozer and scraper work.

YouTube - D8T ripping frost for scrapers.

Last edited:

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
The temp. in my house just dropped watching that vid. Winter sucks, mud and snow just showed up here:crying

Lol, is that all you've got to deal with? Try -40C or one of our blinding snow storms.

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
No thank you...that's why I live where you can wear shorts year-round;)

Awww c'mon Cory, you said you would love to come up here someday. I can look it up on fb and prove it :canada

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ummm, nope, I'm like CM, I make it a point to live no farther north than where a Magnolia tree will grow. :tong

Nice vids though. ;)

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Awww c'mon Cory, you said you would love to come up here someday.

Absolutely, I have heard that Alberta is quite nice in the summertime.:D

Burnout

Occupation
If you don't mind freezing your rollers off if you know what I mean, fall is great. It's still fall here and last week it was -17f. So tell me, does it sound nice lol?

Summer is nice, its just short.

DPete

Brrrrrrrrrrr wait tell the wind blows about 40, thanks for vids, kinda think they are 621's

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Brrrrrrrrrrr wait tell the wind blows about 40, thanks for vids, kinda think they are 621's

They could be it was hard to see the decal on them, we already had a couple days when the wind was blowing 60km/hr it wasn't really cold but sure made the highways treacherous but that's pretty normal around here. lol Sure made me wish I was in Vancouver. lol

buckfever

- 40:eek: I think i would call in dead. It was a frigged 16 here in the morning. How hard is it to get stuff started when it's that cold? If it goes bellow 0 here we stay home.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Just about every machine here has a block heater or some kind of coolant heater to keep the motor warm, even ordinary cars and trucks so you plug in at night or whenever you park the car, truck, or machine and then hopefully you can start it in the morning. When I use to work for a basement excavation company the machines that were on lowbeds were always parked indoors over night, plus we ran 0W40 engine oil during the winter instead of 15W40 as we didn't always have the luxury of plugging the machine in on some jobsites. We were running 4 Cat 320's and the whole series up to the "D" series machines had a really good pre-heater so even at -30C with 15W40 the engine would sputter and cough but would start nonetheless. Then we got are first "D" series and even at -10C which is considered tropical during the winter here we would have trouble getting it started so often it would be brought back to the shop every night if we couldn't find a place to plug it in. Why it was like that I don't know I didn't stay with that outfit long enough to find out but I know some of the problems we had with the machines were largely due to the connection between the operator's seat and the joysticks. But other tricks to starting a machine in our infamous freezing temperatures is "don't turn it off except to change the oil" or other tricks were making a tent around the machine and heating it with a Herman Nelson Heater fuel oil heater. On big jobs some machines are operated around the clock to avoid starting problems or they are again "plugged in" to an electrical source like a light plant or jobsite shack. etc.

Burnout

Occupation
Yeah you could do all that, or just buy some summer in a can.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Isn't -40 where C and F become the same temp? Anyway...sittin' in shorts enjoying a cool breeze....:cool:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the beach...

Last edited:

buckfever

Using either with glowplugs:nono Good way to get a new topend rebuild. Plus once you feed it go-go gas it will want it all the time.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yeah it's been a while since I've had to use that, I prefer using it for potato gun fuel. lol:tong