• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Work shop/buildings'; Steel vs. Clear Span fabric...

lowbed driver

Hilarious story!!!LOL... Kids eh!! Hope it works for you. How about some pics when all is up. I am not much for computers but I guess I need to learn how to post pics and show some of my stuff.

Cheers
Stew aka Lowbed Driver

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Hilarious story!!!LOL... Kids eh!! Hope it works for you. How about some pics when all is up. I am not much for computers but I guess I need to learn how to post pics and show some of my stuff.

Cheers
Stew aka Lowbed Driver

It's a deal Stew...pics are yours once I get this thing up.:canada:thumbsup

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I'm hearing ya Lowbed. I just got back from Tractor Supply a minute ago, with a "garage-in-a-box" 10X20X8 shelter I'm gonna use for practice. I actually had one a few years ago for my son. We built it and I had to go away for a few days, so I asked him to make sure it was secured down really good so the wind doesn't grab it. At 17 yrs. old, I guess that really meant, "OK, dad's gone for a few days, so I'm free"... and when I got home the whole tent was up in the highest maple trees on the property, the frame work all mangled. Been using the tubing for various projects for the past few years from that thing. Made a couple cool chock blocks with tube handles so I don't have to bend down to drop a chock block, and several other inventive things around the farm. I figured those chocks cost me about $175.00 each with the special handles... This time though, I'M in charge of the building so it'll be done according to spec's.

I'll tell you right now Lowboy,you wasted a couple hundred dollars on that Chinese POS fabric with those spindly poles.Check out the manufacturer I mentioned online,it's apples to gabanzo beans here for sure.Good story on sonny boy.We were all 17 though remember.

shopguy

Red steel from good contractor, you will get over the price one day but a mess will always be a mess.

Leon Phelps

he means to tell you if you dont spend the money it will be a mess....leaks, tears, etc.

LowBoy

Occupation
he means to tell you if you dont spend the money it will be a mess....leaks, tears, etc.

C'mon tuney, get with the times...whatsamatta, you aint hip to what he was laying down???:D
As far as wasting my money on that POS spindly pole shelter...I don't feel I did. I need a temporary structure to get the cars in out of the rain when I'm working on them, or if nothing else to store one for the winter in it. So what if it's cheap; it's not like I'm going to be doing an inframe on a truck inside the thing. Worst case scenario is I get a couple years out of it and it ends up in the same maple trees as the previous one, that's all.

Last edited:

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
C'mon tuney, get with the times...whatsamatta, you aint hip to what he was laying down???:D
As far as wasting my money on that POS spindly pole shelter...I don't feel I did. I need a temporary structure to get the cars in out of the rain when I'm working on them, or if nothing else to store one for the winter in it. So what if it's cheap; it's not like I'm going to be doing an inframe on a truck inside the thing. Worst case scenario is I get a couple years out of it and it ends up in the same maple trees as the previous one, that's all.

No Lowboy,I guess I'm not as hip as you are if you know what ''red steel from good contractor'' REALLY means.:rolleyes: As for my wasting money comment,I was only trying to point out there are MUCH better fabric shelters available and especially where you live which I know extremely well as I snowmobile there often,you'll be lucky if your shelter holds up to the first major snowfall.You can always I suppose send your wife out during the blizzard every 2'' to remove the snow to prove I'm wrong.:D

LowBoy

Occupation
No Lowboy,I guess I'm not as hip as you are if you know what ''red steel from good contractor'' REALLY means.:rolleyes: As for my wasting money comment,I was only trying to point out there are MUCH better fabric shelters available and especially where you live which I know extremely well as I snowmobile there often,you'll be lucky if your shelter holds up to the first major snowfall.You can always I suppose send your wife out during the blizzard every 2'' to remove the snow to prove I'm wrong.:D

Red steel is a pretty common term in the steel building trade really. Even a square like me knows that.

I didn't buy the Tractor Supply shelter to start an industrial manufacturing business...it's a way to kep the rain and UV rays off my cars temporarily, period. And with a little effort, if there's a wet snow it's just a matter of a few minutes with a broom or roof rake to clean it off.

Maybe you know the climate better than I do here in my own region even after me living here 18 years and plowing snow every day, sometimes twice a day for 6 months out of the year...I might be missing something.:rolleyes:

I have a home made shelter here about the same gauge steel and structure that lasted 5 years, never had a problem until 2 winters ago when I decided to remove the center posts that supported the arch. I was trying to park 6 sleds in it and needed the room, but that wasn't a good move. Other than that, the wife doesn't care how much snow piles up on my $^!~, it's all me, all the time, outside.

I wasn't looking for a cocky response to me mentioning that I just bought a Chinese shelter...just made a statement that I did for nothing more than conversation, that's all. If I had more money and time, I'd build a concrete block fort to put my cars in out of the rain and sun...but it ain't happenin' right now.:cool2

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Red steel is a pretty common term in the steel building trade really. Even a square like me knows that.

I didn't buy the Tractor Supply shelter to start an industrial manufacturing business...it's a way to kep the rain and UV rays off my cars temporarily, period. And with a little effort, if there's a wet snow it's just a matter of a few minutes with a broom or roof rake to clean it off.

Maybe you know the climate better than I do here in my own region even after me living here 18 years and plowing snow every day, sometimes twice a day for 6 months out of the year...I might be missing something.:rolleyes:

I have a home made shelter here about the same gauge steel and structure that lasted 5 years, never had a problem until 2 winters ago when I decided to remove the center posts that supported the arch. I was trying to park 6 sleds in it and needed the room, but that wasn't a good move. Other than that, the wife doesn't care how much snow piles up on my $^!~, it's all me, all the time, outside.

I wasn't looking for a cocky response to me mentioning that I just bought a Chinese shelter...just made a statement that I did for nothing more than conversation, that's all. If I had more money and time, I'd build a concrete block fort to put my cars in out of the rain and sun...but it ain't happenin' right now.:cool2

Once again--- I never heard of the term ''red steel from good contractor''.Doesn't mean it doesn't exist,maybe it does,but I really think you can drop it as it's a little silly now.

I was only trying to be helpful with your purchase,wasn't trying to be ''cocky'' at all and no I don't think I know your area better than you,I simply implied that I know how much snowfall you get there and by your own admissions from your earlier posts,you second that so what's the beef???????

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts you haven't looked yet at Northeast Shelter's site yet have you? Again,just trying to be helpful--THAT'S ALL. I plan on being snug as a bug in a rug within a couple months to work on and shelter my iron and toys.38 years working outside only is enough for anyone.Good luck.:drinkup

LowBoy

Occupation
Once again--- I never heard of the term ''red steel from good contractor''.Doesn't mean it doesn't exist,maybe it does,but I really think you can drop it as it's a little silly now.

I was only trying to be helpful with your purchase,wasn't trying to be ''cocky'' at all and no I don't think I know your area better than you,I simply implied that I know how much snowfall you get there and by your own admissions from your earlier posts,you second that so what's the beef???????

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts you haven't looked yet at Northeast Shelter's site yet have you? Again,just trying to be helpful--THAT'S ALL. I plan on being snug as a bug in a rug within a couple months to work on and shelter my iron and toys.38 years working outside only is enough for anyone.Good luck.:drinkup

I haven't looked at the site, no. I just simply was in TSC one Sunday and saw the sale on this temp. car shelter and decided I'd buy it until I build my building. They don't go to waste. I have a couple of them, my neighbors have them, they are a good, cheap, temp. way to save the paint on the cars is all...nothing to get excited about.