• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wooo!!!

CabbageThe1

Just thought I would say that I just passed the written for my Class A CDL! On to the road test!! Pointers anyone? I would like advice from those with much more experience then myself, being that I'm only 19, thanks! :notworthy

heavylift

over the road is 21 in Kansas... In state is 18
the only reason I had to take the test was I got a speeding ticket in my car.. and it wouldn't let me get grandfathered in when they changed to cdl's... i guess they frown on 98 in a 55... but I 've slowed down now... the state and insurance guys don't need any more than they take already

the road test here is a joke.... it's more or less a name that part....then drive for about 5 miles... oh you have to back down a 20' wide lane of cones , then stop as close to the back cones as possible...

Name the part is exactly what it sounds like: tire, wheel, mudflap. then bumper hood, hood ornament. Okay that's a turn signal... Now I'm pushing the button on the door handle to open the door....
It crazy.. the engine is the same , name everything you see.
Inside the cab, well rattle off everything in the cab.

I got an 85 on the road test. stopped over the white line. didn't notice the height of an 18' tall bridge, mostly because a car crashed in front of us.
and a 98... 90....95 on whatever the other are....

tootalltimmy

I have taught a few people to get their class 1 license in B.C.

Check your mirrors often.

Two hands on the wheel, don't leave one on the shifter.

Do not speed. Don't laugh, a friend had done very well on the road test and was told to head back to the office. He forgot about the playground zone- automatic fail.

freedom digger

Some examiners can be really bad.When they first started requiring cdls I drove with one hand on the wheel and one one the shifter like I had been for years and still do At the end of the whole test he said .Nice bit of driving to bad you failed automaticly for one hand on the wheel.Like it would have killed him to tell me in the beginning.I had rented the truck for $300.oo plus the exam.Really found it hard to wish him a nice day as I drove the truck back to the terminal WITH ONE HAND!!!!!

tootalltimmy

In B.C. you have an air brake course and a driving test. You pass your air brake endorsement and then its on to your learner's license.
When you are ready you go for the driving test.
The pre-trip is the first part of the driving exam.

If you have to do a pre-trip and brake adjustment before your driving exam it is very important to grab, pull and check everything and tell the examiner exactly what you are checking as you do it.

Such as: "mirrors are adjusted and tight, steps are secure, mud flaps in good shape and attached."
" Tires are good, no cracks , good tread and properly inflated."
"Checking lug nuts for tightness and rims for cracks."

etc etc etc....

You need to do a tug test on the 5th wheel and a brake test before you leave the yard.

Good luck!

Last edited:

CabbageThe1

Well all I know is that the guy that will be doing my road test is someone my boss knows personally. So I'm kinda hoping he isnt as strict as what I have heard about some of the examiners. So I just have my fingers crossed because I can be kind of a smart ass. So I don't want to finish the test and have him be like: "Nice job, unfortunately for you I just don't like you so you didn't pass!" :tong

But from what I understand he is pretty cool! Just treat it like any other test and do what I am taught to do by the guys I will be driving with and hope they know what their doing. Then I guess I should have nothing to worry about.

And I will defiantly keep two hands on the wheel for the test though. Wouldn't want to fail over that. :pointhead

Copenhagen

Make sure you read and comprehend the heights marked on bridges and overpasses. The examiner may ask you what it was even though you are miles down the road.