• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wombat HT 50 Skid Steer - Chinese Bobcat!

biodiesel

To test the integrity of the cable you need to do a cranking voltage drop test.I am assumeing a 12 volt system,with your voltmeter set on low voltage 1 to 3 voltsDC you clamp the positive lead on the battery and the negative lead on the other end of that cable at the starter.Read the volt meter while trying to crank the starter motor.The spec is .1 volt per foot of cable.A 3 foot cable should be @ or less than.3 volts while cranking(or trying to crank).you should do this on all your heavy gauge battery cables.You can also test regular post type battery connections the same way(to verify the need to service your battery cable connections).To do this you would put the pos clamp on the cable clamp end and hold the neg end on the post in the center of the clamp being carefull not to touch the clamp as that would cause you to get no reading.You would be amazed how much voltage would use the less resistant voltmeter path around a dirty battery post.

hootowl

Occupation
Retired
You may have the right thought about what caused the crystals, but they might have "migrated" down the inside of the battery cables, causing a loss of contact inside of a cable that looks fine on the outside.

I have had that very thing strand me in the desert before, and now keep a sharp eye out for it.

Corrosion on the copper itself under the insulation should not cause issues unless the copper itself has corroded to the point of disconnect. Not very likely.

Delmer

Not very likely.

Agreed it's not very likely, but D4 did mention a "2 inch diameter" mess of acid (which isn't from dissimilar metals, it's from acid leaking out of the battery, from the battery being overcharged by a poorly designed, or copied, voltage regulator, possibly combined with high average temperatures).

A 2" mess of acid deposits will corrode whatever it wants, use the voltmeter to find where you're losing voltage and quit guessing already.

Delmer

Interesting, does acid leak around the battery pole? I cleaned up the mess - it was like a salt. No other acid damage found. cheers

Yes, and Yes it is a powdery sulphate of/or something. They make little felt washers that go underneath the cable clamp that are impregnated with a neutralizer to prevent that sort of damage.

chris toering

Ht 50

Hello

I have a HT 50 Wombat Skid Steer which displays an interesting habit of randomly "clicking" when attempting to start. The click is like it has a flat battery, but if you "click the starter key" it eventually turns over with no problem. It may take anything from 1 to 4 attempts.

I replaced the main relay, the smaller relay behind the starter switch, the starter motor and solenoid and obviously the battery.

I have heard of another Chinese machine (not a skid steer) displaying a similar quirk.

It is by no means a major problem, just a small quirk that I can live with, however I am intrigued to find out if anybody else has come across the same thing?

cheers

Hi there, yes I also have the same issue. Have you managed to find the problem? I think the chinese wiring can be a problem.

d4dozer

The problem still persists, as random as can be. Whilst I have replaced the starter motor, I would not be surprised if the problem is there.

hootowl

Occupation
Retired
The problem seems to be the ignition switch to starter solenoid area. It is also possible they spec'd too small of a wire for the solenoid circuit. By the time the juice gets to the solenoid there may not be enough. 12v doesn't travel far.

d4dozer

hootowl

Consider this
1) it sounds like the solenoid clicks in
2) sometimes it will start first go all day
3) some times it is a problem all day
4) if it is a problem day, you just keep trying, click, click, click, starter cuts in for a second and then dies, click, click , click, starter cuts in and starts.......

If it was the problem you suggest why would we have good days and more to the point, after trying a dozen times, the wire would heat and the resistance become higher making the problem worse rather than eventually starting

thoughts?

d4dozer

Well all these years later..... i replaced the starter motor and the problem went away for 200 hours. It came back and I replaced the starter motor again and it lasted another 250 hours.........

The local dealer recons no one else has this problem. 700 odd hours and purchasing the same starter motor for the 4th time......

There must be some inherent fault in the starter motor.

Welder Dave

VERY common problem on Nippon Denso starters. Have heard before adding a relay helps. Solenoid contacts arc and won't carry the current to engage the starter motor. I've had to take my starter out and sand the contacts a few times. I'm going to look into adding a relay because it is very frustrating when sometimes it works great and other times doesn't work at all.