• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wirtgen concrete teeth

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
Anyone herein had any experience using the wirtgen concrete teeth such as w1-10r or equivalent and if so how do they practically compare to the w4 or w6 teeth?

I am specifically looking to mill concrete using a bobcat mill.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Most any asphalt milling tooth will cut concrete pretty good as well. (add water if possible)

Check your teeth for holder fit BEFORE you buy....

mouse

Occupation
so i understand.

I am curious that wirtgen have a special tooth for concrete which is quite different to the asphalt teeth. if you've not seen it it has a much longer cutting tip, almost twice the length, and a very different holder, price locally is about 20% more than a standard type tooth.

guess i'll find out how they work within a couple of weeks.

milling_drum

Occupation
Years ago I did a job in some high density concrete in NYC. The machine was a Bartmill 150. The teeth were cheap Sandvik teeth which held up quite well.

The main problem was at any depth over 2 inches the machine would buck sideways due to resistance. I finally had to bevel cut it once, and then take another pass to get the other side of the bevel. No problems with teeth.

Might consider using whatever tooth fits the holders and take it from there, Wirtgen make a few different types of pricey teeth.

milling_drum

Occupation
Obviously some folks believe Wirtgen products are superior.

Attachments

• photo.jpg12.jpg
    photo.jpg12.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,818

mouse

Occupation
I finally had to bevel cut it once, and then take another pass to get the other side of the bevel.

what is a bevel cut?

wirtgen make quite a few teeth but not so many different holder sizes from what i've read. they are nice and local thus the first choice for me.

milling_drum

Occupation
In concrete cutting, I originally got that idea from a job I did in 1999 with a Wirtgen DC1900. We had to excavate/remove 5 miles of sidewalk from a Golf course in Southern Georgia.

The concrete depth was roughly 6 - 7 inches, at first we cut it on grade trying to take it the cutting drum the full 6 inches on BOTH sides of the milling drum. The results were difficult, chunky material that wasn't being broken down. The load coming off the ground was hard the conveyor and the width of slab left behind to remove was going to be even more of a problem.

Instead of running both sides of the drum at full depth, (6 inches) we ran the right side of the drum at full depth and the left side at around 2 - 3 inches leaving a "bevel". That also worked in the application I mentioned above.

Please let us know how your job turns out.

The Sandvik teeth rep was by one of our jobs last week and left us some teeth that I'm really impressed with. They have a pretty good selection of teeth which seem to last quite well in concrete.