• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wiring a regulator

mike stefanik

Hey guys, I have wired in an external regulator.I bought it from a automotive electrical guy, 2 wire and ground .I hooked up ignition to ignition and field to field .i ran a wire from battery off of alternator to starter post were the battery wire is to.when I start the hoe , I am reading 14-15 volts .i wired it as per what the fellow said who sold me the reg.Can anyone tell me why it would be charging at this voltage or if this is right .thanks a bunch, and yes I tested the alternator .

Welder Dave

An alternator normally charges 2 to 3 volts more than the system. If it's more than this, then you have a problem. I think around 14.5 volts is pretty normal.

mike stefanik

So, from what I figured out the hi reading was my multimeter , the gauge on machine is reading hi , but I checked back of gauge terminals and the battery and I am at 13 volts .i guess that will do , and appreciate all the help , great forum .

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sounds good to me also.
Just installed a VR in my `92 Harley and it settled in at 14.40 volts after a few minutes at 1,000 rpm.

Not sure what gauge you are reading your's with but I'd be tempted in hooking a digital gauge right at the battery terminals and run it for about and hour to see where it levels off.