• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter storage/operation

aighead

You are the man Harley! Thanks, I forgot to look on a real computer, but I'll try today. Thanks again, to you, and everyone else for steering me in the right direction!

aighead

OK, this is marginally infuriating, and I can't express how much I appreciate everyone's help though I can't seem to find a lick of any of this info on my own.

Harley, you said you saw a diagram of how the heater is installed on the Zerostart site? I can't even find my engine model on there. Looking at the dataplate on my engine it looks like I have a 5.0 liter 450 NB engine model. I can't seem to find that engine anywhere unless I'm just searching on Google like a dummy. Most places suggest that I've got a turbocharged engine while I'm not sure I do and they say it's like 4.7 liter or something. I've looked up "CNH 450 NB" and I don't find any real info, I've looked up 2004 NH LB75B engine specs and that comes up with stuff that doesn't match the dataplate. Not the best quality image, but zooming in gives the idea at what I'm looking at.

20231203_130417.jpg

You and Swetz are very kind with your time but the fact that I can't see what you guys seem to be seeing is making me bonkers.

Now, as I look more into any info I can find about this engine it looks like it went on an LB85? Is it possible that the stickers on my boom are wrong and it's really an 85? Grr.

Last edited:

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
That’s why I was asking about your engine, seemed to be a unicorn.
Either way you are completely overthinking this. lol.
The block heaters are designed to fit on a wide range of machines and engines.
It appears the one I sent you uses a jacket plug removal and it seems New Holland uses freeze plugs.
I wouldn’t put too much thought in it.
It was aggravating that I couldn’t find an exact exact engine match with Zerostart but honestly after installing a few block heaters and inline heaters they pretty much are universal.
It looks like yours will install behind the filter on the passenger side 3rd freeze plug out from seat.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
So, looking at Broken Tractor long block sets confirm you have a 304 non turbo, it seems.
Screwed up stuff, I say.
Seems they either measure it with liters or CID
5.0 liters or 304CID?

Last edited:

aighead

OK, it does seem weird and unicorny! I've looked and don't think I'm turbocharged, but the stickers on my machine have always looked a bit jenky, which makes me think maybe I have an LB85 instead of 75, I was able to see minimal info on the 5.0 liter engine pretty easily which appears to be tied more to the 85...

Yes, haha! I'm sure I'm overthinking it! The amount of times I've tried finding anything accurate about this machine has made me feel dumb and I don't trust buying anything for it because I assume it'll be wrong.

304 CID would match up well with the 5.0 liter (at least as much as I remember from the 5.0 liter Mustangs back in the day.

Is there a fancy tool to get that freeze plug out?

I've said it a billion times now but I really appreciate the help!

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
You’re gonna laugh but out of 10 or 12 times I popped a freeze plug out the go in block about 40%, enough to **** me off fishing them out and crushing them enough to get out the damn hole. Lol
Now I tack a nut to them with a mig welder and pop them out with a long bolt Lol
Not that bad, just tap on it with a junk screwdriver or a punch and hopefully lever it out..
My dad used to grease a dill bit and drill a hole but then they came out with zip screws, self tappers and he used them till he retired.
You would know if you had a turbo.
Good luck.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Longest part of the job will be draining antifreeze.
Good time to change it out.
Dont use oil on the oring.

aighead

The ones I'm seeing look like they have an internal wing nut (that's probably not what it's called) like the kind that you'd run through drywall to hang something from, so it looks like access may be tough but not miserable to get it in there and attach it. That'd be cool. I have a few more weeks of what appears to be warm enough weather, I should get on it.

Thanks again!

aighead

I didn't get a chance to go out yesterday and measure my hole... Hopefully, I'll get out there with a flashlight today so I can get something ordered.

Are there any suggested wattages I should aim for? I think I saw something that said 600W but I don't know if that's strong enough?

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
If it’s ordered engine specific, it will tell you what rotation.
Objective is to make sure it’s not hitting inside of block or they will burn out.
It may just be my luck but anything from Katz doesn’t last long.

IceHole

Phillips/Temco is what I've used.

Just bought a 1000 watt one for a hydraulic tank. Have burned out 2 or 3 of the stick on pads, at $175 each.

Last one caught fire even!

aighead

Thanks guys!

I saw, on one I was looking at, that they specified a direction and I thought that was interesting.

I also saw, which is why I don't want to try them, the stick on pads catching fire. It would likely light up my whole barn before I realized, so that one is out too!

And, not from Katz, got it!

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Man, I have probably had 10 or 12 of those 500watt Katz tank heaters over the last 15 years and everyone goes tits up and had at least 3 burn up and melt.
Wish I could find a good one I could trust.
Last one, had on the side of my 580 on the hydraulic tank hooked up to a timer for every morning and SOB burned the paint off the side of the tank about the size of a frisbee.
Timer sent a push at 1 am last winter and I looked at it, rolled over and went back to bed.
Got lucky, bought a lottery ticket next morning. lol

aighead

Yeah man, that doesn't sound very cool. There isn't anything close enough to the backhoe to worry about setting on fire but I don't really want to melt a bunch of hoses and junk too.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Not sure why I have such an issue with them.
I know other people that swear by Katz heaters.