• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter starting

SnoSheriff

My skid steer doesn't have a block heater. It gets pretty cold up here and I have a non-heated garage... How do you guys start your machines in the winter? Should I have a block heater installed or are there any other options?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You didn't mention what engine you have, liquid cooled or maybe Deutz oil cooled engine?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Get a Kat's heater. http://fivestarmanufacturing.com/Kat_s

Which ones? Opinions vary. Myself, I'm not very fond of cooking motor oil, I'd prefer a coolant heater. Freeze plug heaters work well, if your engine will accept one. Lower radiator hose or tank heaters work well also as the heating of the coolant causes a circulation through the engine block and head. In extreme cold temps, a low wattage silicone pad heater on the bottom of the oil pan helps keep oil from being like glue upon cold start up. :)

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Get a block heater put in. As mentioned it heats the coolant/antifreeze. I have been down to 43 below and it still starts like its 80 degrees outside. Remember though that the rest of the machine is still at the ambient temp. When it gets real cold, let the machine idle for a good while before slowly operating the loader function. I will curl the bucket up and let it run over relief to help heat the hyd fluid.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I agree a standard block heater is all you need. Trust me fellow Canadians know best. lol:)

Z2898

If a frost plug block heater is not an option I have installed many circulating water heaters directly into the cab heater hoses. The process is simple but make sure the heater assembly is installed in the correct orientation and correct elevation on the engine so that it will work properly. They do work very well.

Another option although not as good as a block heater or circulating water heater is a couple 300-400 watt magnetic heaters. I have 2 of those as well that I will use occasionally. Quick and easy but do not warm an engine as well as the previous methods. On very cold days (-30 to -40C) I will attach one to the engine oil pan and one to the hydraulic tank. I also use all of these heating devices on a timer and depending on overnight temp will usually start them at least 2 hours before estimated machine start up time.

The circulating heaters and the magnetic heaters can be purchased just about anywhere, such as NAPA and Canadian Tire.

Z

dirty doyle

Occupation
dirt pusher
Arctic Fox makes a stick on pan heater for the oil and the Yanmar I have in my PC45 has a screw in/out block heater. Took 10 min. -20 in Minnesota and it started like 80

drwroto

Block heaters or circulating heaters both work well if you are near a power outlet. We often work on remote sites and have had an Espar heater installed. It burns a little bit of diesel to heat the engine. Pro heat also makes the same type of thing. The advantage is that you don't need to be near power. You set the timer to come on so the engine is warm when you are ready to start it.