• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter fuel additive.

Jeff D.

Salesrep. since you are a sponsor of this site,and I use it,I thought I should atleast consider your products.With that,I'm curious if you offer a fuel additive specifically designed for anti-icing,anti-gel in diesel fuel?

I live in northern Minnesota,and it can get bitterly cold,occasionally -20 even -30 below.Normally I try and blend 20% #1 when it's below zero,and add Powerservice,or Howes additive.If it's -15 below,I'll double dose the additive,but even then have had fuel problems(I think due to poor mixing from adding additive too late,and not being properly dispersed).

Recently Mn. State law mandated ALL diesel fuel must have a(I think 2%) bio-diesel mix if sold in the state.I've heard bio-diesel has good lubricating ,and cleaning(even too good,with its high solvent content) properties,but is horrible for gelling.Around 32 degrees,I think??So this may make the fuel problems even worse.(although 2% ain't much)

I've had good luck with the Howes,and so-so with Powerservice.If you've a similiar product I'd be interested.If it raises the certane rating,and adds lubrication,both a plus.Since they're concentrated differently,I'd need enough to treat appox. 4000 gal. of straight#2 for use to -30below.(worse case) 5gal. pails or 1 gal. jugs preferred.

Any info would be appreciated,thanks.

Jeff D.

Oh,also if you had something that would "get the red out"of fuel oil,like a fuel Viseene,then you would be my SuperHero !!
(I'm only joking...unless you do have something.....then I'm serious!!) ;)

PSDF350

I have noticed recently that power service is selling a red bottle now. Not sure if they allways have or not. But it is for gelled and to keep from gelling. Even though the white bottle is supposed to do same.

Jeff D.

Yes,I've seen that.I think they call it S.O.S emergency fuel de-icer/de-gel,or something similiar?I guess it's only for emergency's though.The chemicals are too strong for everyday use.Must be hard on the fuel system parts.

I tried it last winter.My truck started chugging,just after leaving home on a particularly cold morning.I chugged my way to a fuel stop and bought that.I didn't have any spare filters,so I let it idle awhile,and took off.It seemed fine at first,but after about five miles it started going down again.I was able to limp it into a Napa store,and amazingly they had my filters.I changed them and everything was fine.I think once the filters start to wax up,theres not much that'll dissolve it.I maybe could have spun the filters off and drained them.Then filled them with that S.O.S. stuff directly.That might have done the trick???

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
jeff d We have just what the doctor has ordered.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/137AND.pdf
This product is the winterized version of our Premium diesel treat 2000 product that quite literally turns #2 to a premium by all standards. This is same product I sell to fuel jobbers, fleets and refineries to make their fuel a premium.Cetane 4-5 pts, lubricity package ( excceeds the new ultra low sulfer req.), anti corrosion pkg, , anti deposit, biocide. The whole enchilda.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/300.pdf

This is our anti- gel product which by itself is the equivalent of a 70/30 blend. it does not contain the cetane improver or the mpg improver.

Both are available in pint cases of 24 that treat 125 gal each.
4/1 gallon cases that treat 1 gal to 1000 gal for the premium and 1 gal to 2000 gal for the artic flow plus. Orders under $250 will incur an additional hazmat charge.

I am shipping a lot of our 5-40 syn engine oil to cold weather folks as well.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/9000.pdf

Please pm, email or call for pricing.
msmith@specializedlubricants.net

Last edited: