• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter days at Beitostølen

Grader4me

Here is a few pictures from Craigs manufacturing here in New Brunswick. The first picture is the type of set up that we have for our wings

High_Lift_All_Hydraulic_Wing_Assembly[1].jpg

This second picture is a hydraulic wing trip swivel that I never knew they made. I just have to get out more... I think this is a really good idea because if the wing hits something hard it will trip, also you can change the pitch on your wing at any time. I going to look into the cost etc..

Hydraulic_Trip_Swivel1[1].jpg

Last picture here is a front plow that I think is similar to MKTEF's pictures. Again, another one of Craigs products that I never knew they made. We purchase most of our plow equipment from them.

Down_Pressure_Float_Reversible_Plows1[1].jpg

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
You are right grader4me, they are very alike our ones.:)

But our produsers construct them with a shorter distance from the tip to the bracket.
Here is some pics of one modell we got a number of.:)
Only difference is we dont got the "driftshade" on top.
Here u see it got big rubberbands that keeps its sections down.
Theese can be turned to both sides, hydraulicaly.
This modell is made with a trucklift system.
It is connected to the truck bracket as shown in this thread:
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=63053#post63053

A very nice solution that follows ground good and goes over things instead of tripping in them:).

Attachments

• kahlbacher%201.jpg
    kahlbacher%201.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,066
  • kahlbacher%202.jpg
    kahlbacher%202.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,063
  • kahlbacher%203.jpg
    kahlbacher%203.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,065

Grader4me

Cool plow MKTEF. Could you send me one? :) I like the idea of the wing trip as pictured above. I wish this had been available years ago. Be kind of interesting as to how much it will take before it trips. Also like the idea of being able to control the pitch of the wing.
What kind of wing set up do you have in your area?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Well, www.overaasen.no has a number of theese in stock for sale.:D
They are unused, but is on sale as used ones.(pics from them)
Made by a German firm, Kaltenbacher, i mean was the name.
This design dosen't tripp at all, hit anything, it just goes up and over.
The segments are rounded, so the force makes them go up.;)
Real nice design, we only use theese when we do snowclearing with a blade on the wheelloader.
But a snowbucket or a foldable blade is needed on those big lots.:)

We don't have any wings like u got on any graders here in scandinavia.
Some got a snowblower on the side, but they are rare.
The swedes got some systems, but they are more like the ones under.

Some trucks got a sidewing, but they are for wide highways, so u plow two lanes.:)

Plowing is always done by trucks here around.(on roads)
They even got extendable plows for the trucks, it extends by 3 foot apr., into the middle of the road.(hydraulic operation of course)
Graders is for ice and hardpacked snow removal.;)
Grade first, plow throws it up and over the snowedge.
Contractors got 1 grader and 4-6 trucks, so the grader got a real big area to be on call for....

Graders have been on a downside the last years, but is a growing equipment now.:cool:

sdPete

Occupation
cannotpost
On the move.....

This is not recommended solo, only way I could do it was find a spot with no snow, so steering was the only thing going on....

Attachments

• gradersnow40 (Small).JPG
    gradersnow40 (Small).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 991

Grader4me

sdPete, are you happy with your new grader? I look at the pictures and read your posts, but have never heard any "yipees" out of you. Lets have it..Your thoughts?...Sorry if I'm putting you on the spot, but I just have to know :yup :wink2

roadrunner

This is not recommended solo, only way I could do it was find a spot with no snow, so steering was the only thing going on....

sdPete;
I was wondering what your M is like plowing in 8th.Does the cold affect the steering and also is it speed sensitve the faster you are going? If your wing hits or digs in can you counter react in time before going in the ditch?

I run a 160H in the winter and wanted to demo the M but CAT could not bring one out in time.:beatsme

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums roadrunner! :drinkup

sdPete

Occupation
cannotpost
Ron - about trusting the joystick - answer is yes. After a couple hundred hours the intuitive response is working ok, I don't THINK about steering much. High speed control is fine, takes very little stick movement which comes with practice.

Roadrunner - 8th gear plowing - haven't done it. 7th at 17 is about max for me, all gravel roads here, tires throw rocks, windows do break. Steering is stiff when cold and takes about an hour of running time to find "normal", response is modulated in higher gears. So far I have been able to react in time, never have felt like the joystick raised the risk any. A 160H in snow, the thought of that much power, uff da.

Grader4me - happy with the machine - yes, but I'm not a "yippee" kind of guy. If you're looking for a Motor Trend type of review full of gushing praise it won't be written by me. The M grader does all the things most any recent production machine would do, but the controls are all different. I'm 50 years old with enough experience and developed habits to make change a challenge. Some of the things that need to be learned to run the M grader were details I never anticipated, I think over time I'll get there. For instance, cruising to the end of a mile, release throttle, downshift, unlock differential, turn the corner. Then click the button a time or two for upshift, click button on other joystick to lock differential, and my mind prepares for a change in machine momentum (thinking upshift) and I end up leaning forward in the seat, grrr. Another little annoyance is the 4-5 shift, the 5-4 shift is worse - many times that downshift causes me to bump the stick and drop the blade on the left side. So far no combination of throttle / clutch / shift interaction helps, engine at idle is about the best to be had, if stopping click trans to neutral from 5th. Lots of plusses, air ride seat, great visibility, better ladder, ground level fueling, quiet cab, heated mirrors, ventilation system keeps windows fog free, hydraulic noise minimal as pump is no longer under cab, plenty of lights, engine power noticable increase, burns much less fuel than the H model previous, to name a few. The throttle pedal / lock button setup takes some time to master, usually I use Auto mode which has a resume feature similiar to cruise control. Auto mode disables itself if the foot throttle is moved more than 20%, so sometimes when going up a hill I begin to press on the foot pedal which at a certain point releases the throttle lock prior to getting the pedal down to match the original set point resulting in loss of power and a sometimes awkward lurch. The blade slide shims and circle slack adjustment are supposed to be easier but I haven't done either of those yet. Brake system is hydraulic as compared to air on previous models.

Yeah, I suppose I could write a while more but you get the picture, nice machine but not perfect. Don't know if there is or ever will be. So far I have not talked to anyone else with experience running an M doing what I do, so read what I write with a grain of salt, so to speak. Seems like there are a lot of people curious about the M, so I try to pass on some of what I know.

Grader4me

Didn't really think you was a yippee kind of guy, and no I'm not looking for a gushing review. I was just looking for an honest opinion of how you felt about your grader.
You see, I can relate because we are the same age and basically do the same things with a grader. Although now I do more training than actual operating.
Your explaination is excellent, as I can almost picture myself in the seat as I read. Just goes to show that us old farts can adjust to new technology as well as the younger generation.
Thanks sdPete for your feedback as I really appreciate it. :)

Last edited:

roadrunner

Visited the wintear days on Tuesday.:)
DOT arranged this forum.
A lot of speakers talking about snowremoval, snow contracts, public service, airport snowremoval and more.
Lasts from monday to thursday.;)

The dealers of winter equipment where present with some of their stuff. Snowblowers, sand spreaders, salt spreaders, graders, plows and more.:D

Demonstrations out in the field after lunch each day.
It takes place on a hotell at the end of a skislope.(Beitostølen)
2 km with a bus up to the "mountain".:rolleyes:

I pictured the graders present. A Veekmas(Vammas 281), 140M and our 976.
Our 976 is pictured in another post....;)
MKTEF;
Just wondering how your G976 is to operate with the joysticks and do you have a steering wheel backup for roading or not?Volvo just delivered a G970 and I absolutely love it.I know that Volvo always builds their machines after they get input from operators.There is so many good features on the machine that you don't want to get out of it!Do you have front fenders on your machine? I have seen Volvo's already but what else is good out there?
I only run gravel and dirt roads so if any suggestions let me know!: :D

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Hello Roadrunner!

Our 976's are custom made by the Norwegian importer.:cool:
All the levers is gone, and a controll central connected to the original volvo central in front of the window.
It consists of smal hydraulic sylinders controlled by a electronic system.
Electronics come from a swedish producer, the system that u got for a steelwrist/rototilt, but with more electronic brains. www.svab.se
Our joysticks is mounted instead of the armrests on the original seat.:)

Stearing wheel and the mid colum is still in place, but no levers...
The system is connected to stearing, gear, and all the extras trough the electronic system.
If u touch the stearing it overrides the joystick.
State dosen't allow us to drive in more than 30 km/h with the joysticks.;)
So i have to switch the joystick stearing off and use the original volvo gearstick and the wheel to get max speed of 50 km/h.

It's not as good view as in a grader with a cabin designed for joysticks, but i am pleased with the solution.
Some time before they where finnished with all the updates and programming from Volvo...But now they just run great!
And thats what experienced Cat drivers say too.(have had some of them inside our for some months now.)

And we got both front and back fenders.:)
Have dismounted the back ones for the chains, but still got the front ones.
There's enough space for our chains still.
I have posted lots of pics around here, check some of the other posts out.;)

bushcat

Occupation
heo
Hey Roadrunner I'm north of you in creighton toooo cooold for ice fishing -44 with windchill today so I guess I'll be stoking the woodstove and playing on the puter.