• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Windows 7 vs. Cat comm 3

MrKomatsu

HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT CAT FIXING THE COMM 3 ISSUE WITH WINDOWS 7?
THERE WAS A TEXT FILE IN THE ET SETUP INSTRUCTIONS STATING THAT CAT IS AWARE OF
THE HARDWARE CONFLICIT AND IS WORKING ON IT...THAT WAS IN 2009...:Banghead

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Question asked to the "powers that be". As soon as a I get an answer I'll let you know.

We only use XP in our laptops as most proprietary software (not just ET) tends to fall over when confornted with Microsoft's latest & greatest operating system.

MrKomatsu

it is a windows 7 issue.......cat has not resolved the problem yet.
com 3 hardware is older then windows 7...so it will not discover it...

PAcattech

Occupation
CAT field service tech (31yrs)
sounds like you need to update the firmware in your comm adapter been using windows 7 for over two years with very little issues

bethany22

Why don't you try updating both? But if your windows 7 has the automatic update configured, you don't have to worry about updating your windows 7, just the cat comm.

truckdoctor

Occupation
mechanic
Get someone that can get on Cat coporates website, they have the updated Comm 3 download. I had to call tech services yesterday and use it. My access is a little different than yours because of working for a dealer but try and see if that helps.

Last edited:

Lee-online

You need to connect the comm 3 to the lap top and then open the "Comm Adapter 3 Toolkit" This is where you flash it from, can you get it to work up to this point? If not you will need to get it flashed at the dealer.
If you can get to this point, let me know what flash file it has and i can email you the updated one.

MrKomatsu

I just want to thank ev1 who helped me with this issue...
I went to cat with my issue they in fact tried to install
the hardware (c0mm 3) but computer would not reconize it..
Ran system check it was ok...hmmmm..cat downloaded new update for tool kit disc
then tried to install and bam....lock and load......runs great...thanks ev1:usa:drinkup

fatcat

I just bought comm 3 and it keeps saying that hardware not detected can someone help please? Called cat they said I had to spend another 1000.00 to make it work. Help please

bigmark234

I just bought comm 3 and it keeps saying that hardware not detected can someone help please? Called cat they said I had to spend another 1000.00 to make it work. Help please

I am going through the same problem with my comp. and the comm 3 as well, another grand isn't going to make me very happy.
I ran the software that came with the new comm and having no good luck with it,when I plug it in to the comp. I lose com port 2 which is what my comm 2 uses. I have to re-boot the comp. to get it back.
luckily for me, the comm.2 is still working until this gets sorted out.
Good Luck, If you get it fixed let us all know ,Mark Johnson

MrKomatsu

Well i had the same problem a while back and due to windows 7 I had to update the firmware.
It worked after i updated it on_line.....Thanks to everyone that posted ideas.

MrKomatsu

I recently had to buY a new comm3 adapter kit to replace the one that got stolen.
Ikeep getting check cables and or connection between adaptor and ecm.
The adaptor powers up but will not communicate....checked and moved as well
no luck...checked on several machines just to rule out ecm issues....

MrKomatsu

I just bought a new cat comm 3 adaptor to replace the one that got misplaced.
Had no issues with the 1st. One....this one i keep getting message that reads
check cables between adaptor and ecm..well i removed, cleaned and installed again
and again...no luck,i excnange the cables at cat...my adaptor powers up but
will not communicate.......i tried it on two different machines just to rule out ecm issues.....any help out here?

Caterp1llar

Not sure if you guys are still tackling this issue but there is an update firmware file for the CA3. The file name is 'CA3_1.19.50.tar.bz2'

Also, while you have the CA3 powered you need to run a .bat file. On windows 7, the file can be found in c:\program files\caterpillar inc\comm adapter 3\power supply\

run the file names - 'powersupplyon.bat'. this will ensure the power doesn't shut off while data is being transferred.

Hope this helps.

Caterp1llar

Also, wanted to mention that if you had a previous version of the comm adapter service tool, you will need to modify the preferences to ensure the ET program is looking for the CA3.

This can be found under Utilities>Preferences>Communication Tab. Edit the drop down to select your service tool type.