• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Window farming

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
I went out for a drive today to have a look around at the dry land wheat farms around where Im working. Being the old farm boy I am, I cant resist! Hopefully Im still here when they start cutting wheat in the next month or so. Heres some pics of the equipment I found.

Attachments

• Window farming 001.jpg
    Window farming 001.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 909
  • Window farming 002.jpg
    Window farming 002.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 896
  • Window farming 006.jpg
    Window farming 006.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 894
  • Window farming 007.jpg
    Window farming 007.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 892

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Heres a few more. Nice way to recycle an old combine. Ive seen a few sprayers made out of old 95H's and Gleaners over the years, but this is the "newest" one I've ever seen!

Attachments

• Window farming 011.jpg
    Window farming 011.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 889
  • Window farming 010.jpg
    Window farming 010.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 886
  • Window farming 009.jpg
    Window farming 009.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 887
  • Window farming 012.jpg
    Window farming 012.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 885
  • Window farming 008.jpg
    Window farming 008.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 894

KMB83

Occupation
farmer
JTL,

I have dumb question. whats up with using steel tracked machines in the northwest?

i understand that tracks offer lower ground pressure in farm applications but i wouldnt think steel, with all the rubber stuff around these days, would be very economical?

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
KMB,
Traction factor has alot ot do with it. As well as stabillity. The fields arent exactly flat out here. They might not be as fast as rubber tired machines, but I would feel alot safer on tracks than on tires when pulling a 40 foot cutivator across a 35% slope.
There are more and more farmers replacing the old AG-6 and D-6's with Challengers, John Derre and Case rubber track machines.

KMB83

Occupation
farmer
makes sense....

in your pictures it looks flat, but i have seen some of the ground you are referencing.

do the rubber tracks have different levels of aggressiveness or stuff in your area getting the same tracks as us midwesterners?

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
They do call this area Shutler Flats, but go 2 miles in any direction and the hills get STEEP! It drops down into draws and gullies, but even the Flats aren't all that flat. Its pretty broken up.
As far as the aggressiveness of the rubber tracks, I have no idea if they are any different.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
A little bit older, and a little bit newer!

Attachments

• Window farming 013.jpg
    Window farming 013.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 706
  • Window farming 014.jpg
    Window farming 014.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 689
  • Window farming 015.jpg
    Window farming 015.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 692

oakland

COPPA
Occupation
high school
nice pics JTL there are alot of challengers in this area too, and they dont screw around on the asphalt either they haul you know what! they sure are nice machines :D

hvy 1ton

Do you have any Claas tracked tractors in the States? I think they're rebadged Cats, but Im not sure.

No Claas tractors to speak of in NA, yet. Even the Claas combines are painted yellow. I don't think the Claas/Cat tractor deal is active anymore, seeing as they sold the Challenger rights to AGCO.