• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

wind turbine goes up

jimmyjack

this is going up right around the corner from me at the high school, its supposed to power the high school , police and fire stations and townhall... the company is hallamore, and im pretty sure thats there 600 ton crane which ive seen before . gonna try and get better pics this week coming , they got a security detail there on the weekend so i couldnt get as close as id like

Attachments

• crane 007.jpg
    crane 007.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,610
  • crane 008.jpg
    crane 008.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,596
  • crane 010.jpg
    crane 010.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,608
  • crane 009.jpg
    crane 009.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,611

Local_139

Occupation
Operator
Wind Farm work is gonna be HUGE the next 15 yrs they say. 3000% more they estimate.
All fine and dandy for the people who lease their land but, it divides neighbors and towns. A sad thing really.

Iron Horse

It's funny , i was just about to make a joke about , i hope the UFO's don't knock it out like they supposedly did in England a couple of weeks ago . Then i saw the round image in the first photo on the left hand side , due due due due :D .

Attachments

• UFO.jpg
    UFO.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,581
Last edited:

jimmyjack

It's funny , i was just about to make a joke about , i hope the UFO's don't knock it out like they supposedly did in England a couple of weeks ago . Then i saw the round image in the first photo on the left hand side , due due due due :D .
lol i was gonna say thats just a plane cause the airport thats in rhode island is a little more to the left in that picture and planes are always flying over the area, BUT now thats its enlarged im unsure

jimmyjack

couple from today

Attachments

• crane1 005.jpg
    crane1 005.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,503
  • crane1 006.jpg
    crane1 006.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,504
  • crane1 007.jpg
    crane1 007.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,497
  • crane1 008.jpg
    crane1 008.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,481

td25c

Wind Farm work is gonna be HUGE the next 15 yrs they say. 3000% more they estimate.
All fine and dandy for the people who lease their land but, it divides neighbors and towns. A sad thing really.

Wind power,solor panels= crane jobs

90plow

all fine and dandy till you want your land back or till the gavernment determines it to be the property of the power company.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
Wind Farm Construction, real bad for the electric bill, & enviroment

I did some windmill foundations early in this industry. Been against them since 1988.
Some educational information. I know they do provide some income for a few workers, But there is better sources of reliable power out there.
Windmills can't operate with out subsides. This could very well be the highest priced electricity I used to have over 7,000 next to me, now around 5500. Interested in the environmental damage, I live in the largest golden eagle breeding ground in the world. Even the protected eagle is killed here without a fine since 1981. Interested still go to http://www.darrylmueller.com/alarm.html
This is what the wind does to some windmills.

Attachments

• 1junk_lichtenau.jpeg
    1junk_lichtenau.jpeg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,448
  • 2junk_lichtenau.jpeg
    2junk_lichtenau.jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 1,418
  • 3junk_lichtenau.jpeg
    3junk_lichtenau.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,439

Iron Horse

4 Guy wires would prevent all that damage .

Don't they have some sort of furling to turn them out of high winds ?

Turbo21835

4 Guy wires would prevent all that damage .

Don't they have some sort of furling to turn them out of high winds ?

The ones I have been around have a mechanisim that stops the blades when wind is at unsafe speeds. These fail from time to time. When the fail, you see what happens to them in previous pictures.

The big problem around here is the blades being struck by lightning. The repair requires a crane to swing a man basket. They sand the blade, put a new coat of a fiberglass type process. Then its a waiting time for the epoxy to cure. This depends on temps. So they all wander off, usually to local dinning establishment. Once the epoxy is cured, they sand the blade, and it goes back into service.

Im not sure on subsides. When I was out in Oregon last year, the guys from the local power company were telling me each windmill cost them 2 million dollars. On average, the investment was returned in 2 years. Average life on each turbine is estimated to be 20 years.

TheKid

Occupation
Crane Operator
Very nice looking crane. I live in So. Cali about 2 hours from the palm springs, CA. wind mills and have been there to watch a few put up. very impressive and yeah when they fall, they tend to make a mess.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Im not sure on subsides. When I was out in Oregon last year, the guys from the local power company were telling me each windmill cost them 2 million dollars. On average, the investment was returned in 2 years. Average life on each turbine is estimated to be 20 years.

I am real sure on subsides, it called: production tax credits, carbon offsets and paying more for wind generated power than other conventional sources and other scams. FLP does not have to generate any power, there is so many tax breaks out there because of government programs that support alternitive energy. I will dig up some Palm Springs erection pictures I took several years back. You will be shocked at the size before they are lifted in place.

Attachments

• 2junk_kirby2.jpg
    2junk_kirby2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,382

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Taller than a football field is long

These are big guys around 380 ft. top of tip. each blade around 75-80 ft. long look at the ones on the ground that have not been lifted in place. They put 2 blades on and lift it in place and install the last blade. I was looking for a picture of the crane next to it the windmill house is the size of the crane house, can't find it I remember seeing it and was shocked at the size. This is the highest price power, and it only runs when the wind blows, the power grid has to have power plants ready to take over the load. Here at Altamont Pass there is only a 20% maximum run time in 24 hrs. During the brown outs the windmills did not run here if that block was turned off, they need power to energize them to rotate on the start up mode. Oh yes I forgot these are imported to from Japan, Denmark, and other non USA sources. Taken 3/29/01 in Palm Springs.

Attachments

• Image003.jpeg
    Image003.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,323
  • Image001.jpeg
    Image001.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,334

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
I think that may be an LTM 1500 Liebherr.... or the older AC1600/ AC650 Demag ... hard to say without closer shots of the upper work's ...nice unit ..whats the name of the company on the boom ..

the wall starts when an agreement is met and parts are ordered and they the citizens begin to have second thought's or land owner's want more money to place them there ...Ive seen this ..the 1 million dollar price soared to almost 2.75 million installed because now there was a two year delay in erection ,the parts had to be stored and maintained ...yes even setting on the ground in wait they needed constant maintainence ..more so than if they were in service ....

Windmills have there pro's and con's ..its a delveloping technology .... think about it ..at start of the nuclear age ..how many nuclear bombs were detonated around the globe ..before the yeild and data was aquired to keep reproducing without destruction... the world is there now ..(never mind that all agreed to stop testing ..the data had been aquired and whats the need to test further ..no other reason to stop other than the data was there ..)

So windmills will be a facet in green energy ,solar another facet ..and hydrogen engine's another.. the list goes on ...and so will new idea's

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
I did some windmill foundations early in this industry. Been against them since 1988.
Some educational information. I know they do provide some income for a few workers, But there is better sources of reliable power out there.
Windmills can't operate with out subsides. This could very well be the highest priced electricity I used to have over 7,000 next to me, now around 5500. Interested in the environmental damage, I live in the largest golden eagle breeding ground in the world. Even the protected eagle is killed here without a fine since 1981. Interested still go to http://www.darrylmueller.com/alarm.html
This is what the wind does to some windmills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nSB1SdVHqQ
wind+windmill=EPIC FAIL:D

td25c

That's quite a crane.Allot of rigging invaulved with the jib.Vary impressive,It make's my rig look down rite simple.I can see how the weather would effect a wind tubine job in a big way.Be safe& great pic's.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
25c
it takes about 6 to eight hour's to set a machine like that up ...that would include ..if it has to be done launching the main boom ..