• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

will not start

good-dog

Have a 2003 john deere 110 backhoe was running fine yesterday, starting and shutting off several times. Went to start today nothing. All lights came on but did not turn over checked battery its good. can here a clicking noise when turning key is my sol. gone how do I test thanks

Delmer

Test with some test leads with alligator clips and a voltmeter. The clicking you hear could be the solenoid, or it could be a start relay, the easiest way to tell it to start hooking the test lead to the different terminals on the solenoid and see what's hot when you try to start it. That will tell you real fast if it's the solenoid, the starter motor itself, or the other wiring/neutral switches/ignition switch...

good-dog

ok So the solenoid has the heavy positive wire and two blue wires on the same post. There is also a white wire on the bottom that I believe goes to the key. So test these the blue and white wires disconnected.
The clicking sound does sound like it is coming higher up from the sol.

good-dog

Seat switches, park brake switches, any kind of neutral safety?

Is there a way to connect the sol. directly to see if it will turn over. there are only two separate spots where there is wire coming off the sol .one large lug where the positive battery cable connects plus three other wires all on that same lug. Than a white wire that I believe is the key

Delmer

Is there a way to connect the sol. directly to see if it will turn over.

Yes, but I'm not gonna tell you if you haven't figured it out already.

I'd leave everything hooked up and connect a test lead to the white wire at the terminal on the solenoid, go into the cab hook the other end of that lead to a multimeter with the other lead to ground, and turn the key. No voltage and the solenoid/starter is not the problem, it's "upstream" from the starter.

Connecting the solenoid directly is dangerous, people get run over and killed doing this, so make sure you don't mess with that from outside of the cab.

good-dog

Well it ended up being the simplest thing. Even though the PTO switch was in the disengage positions It was not making a good contact, so as the switch had not been used in quite awhile all that I had to do was move the switch up and down a few times and she started. Thanks all