• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Will a Hyster D7D winch work on a 977H?

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Hello everyone,
I found a nice Hyster D7D winch for sale for a good price somewhat local to me and was wonderig if it would work on a 977H? My earlier lever steer machine is the one I was envisioning it going on, I don’t remember the serial number of the machine off hand and it’s 12 hours of driving away…
Thanks!

spitzair

Hi Nige,
It is a Hyster model D7D winch, I don't know what it actually came off of. The seller was going to mount it on a D7E but says it wouldn't fit on that machine. I'll try to get some pictures uploaded here later today. I haven't seen the winch in person but from the pictures it actually looks to be in pretty decent condition...

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Tail ends of a D7D and a D7E should be relatively same, Drive shaft could be the difference.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Hi Nige,
It is a Hyster model D7D winch, I don't know what it actually came off of. The seller was going to mount it on a D7E but says it wouldn't fit on that machine. I'll try to get some pictures uploaded here later today. I haven't seen the winch in person but from the pictures it actually looks to be in pretty decent condition...
Upload some photos, especially of the data plate if it has one. Somebody will recognize it.

spitzair

Here’s some photos from the seller’s ad… I’ll see if they can get me one of the data tag if it’s there.

Attachments

• 06B246A5-4A67-4E24-963A-0C24BD793E4F.jpeg
    06B246A5-4A67-4E24-963A-0C24BD793E4F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 268EF66F-6117-4C1F-95FF-05AEF8220F16.jpeg
    268EF66F-6117-4C1F-95FF-05AEF8220F16.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 28

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Well, a D7D winch is getting right into Antique Cat territory. Below is the 1956 Hyster D7D brochure.

The D7D Hyster winch is designed to fit the D7 from the very first of the "new" model D7, the 7M series (1940), through to the 3T and 17A series (D7C and D7D).

But it won't fit anything after the 17A series, because the D7E that replaced the 17A in 1960 was a whole new design tractor.
The rear housing that contains the steering clutches and final drives on the 977 and D7E is a different design to the earlier D7's, so you're right out of luck as regards the 977 fit.

Attachments

• HYSTER-D7D.jpg
    HYSTER-D7D.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

skyking1

I know we all like our hyster winches, but if the spools have an aux valve for a ripper, how about getting a straight hydraulic winch? It would be a ton better than nothing and require only farmer fab for the mechanical connection.

spitzair

I know we all like our hyster winches, but if the spools have an aux valve for a ripper, how about getting a straight hydraulic winch? It would be a ton better than nothing and require only farmer fab for the mechanical connection.
That would be ideal, and my other machine does have a hydraulic winch on the back and I absolutely love it, but this machine doesn't have the extra valve and this particular winch I found was a decent price (guy wants $1000 CDN for it...) about an hour or so drive from me so I figured if it would fit I'd snatch it up but alas my search continues...

ksliger

Spitzair, I happen to have that same Hyster D7D mounted on a direct drive Cat D7E dozer. However, the winch is missing the hand controls seen in the pictures you posted. Would you mind posting or sending me the ad or contact info for the person selling the winch? I would like to ask them if they are interested in selling those parts. Thank you!

spitzair

Spitzair, I happen to have that same Hyster D7D mounted on a direct drive Cat D7E dozer. However, the winch is missing the hand controls seen in the pictures you posted. Would you mind posting or sending me the ad or contact info for the person selling the winch? I would like to ask them if they are interested in selling those parts. Thank you!
Sure, I'll see if I can find that ad again, hopefully he hasn't taken it down... give me a little bit and I'll report back either way.