• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

why so few around?

denver m farms

Occupation
Farmer/cattle buyer/ construction/excavating

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I smile to myself when i read this. Each machine excels at certain things. A track loader will out work an excavator very quickly if material is moved further than the hoe can reach. I have worked sites where the truck needs to stand off the material due to the lay of the ground. A track loader can GO GET the material from areas where the trucks cant get.

If you are clearing land and the track loader is big enough to just push over brush and small trees it will flat out run circles around an excavator. A hoe is good for point digging and reaching into holes and swinging when trucks can get close. A hoe is better at big stumpin and big tree removal.

I own a skid steer, a track loader and an excavator. The skid steer has made more money than both the ex and track loader combined. Today i did a job where a customer had been using a bobcat the last few years to pile up dirt and brush. He wanted the over growth and soil moved. The area was about 100 yrds by 30 yards. He wanted me to do it with a bobcat. These type areas are really soft and stay wet.

He was expecting a bobcat and a basic rate. He knew what one could do. He however had never been on a real machine (953). He had no idea what it can really do and how fast. In about 1 hour my 953 cleared and piled the area to the far end and i was in and out. Then off to other work. Did three jobs in one day. I think i would still be there with an excavator or a bob cat. I doubled my rate and finished so much faster. Only pain is loading and unloading the beast. I also spread a load of gravel and made a building pad in that time. I had piles of brush and dirt 12 feet tall a long ways from the start of the grading. Plus using the loader was safer for me. It kept me further away from danger. I am getting good with final grade on my loader i can almost finish grade with it if i have enough room to maneuver and turn out of the zone.

I love my track loaders. I just wish it had 100 more horsepower and that i could load it up twice as much. Manly when it bogs in soft dirt and your pushing up a pile of dirt and climbing it as you push.

Last edited by a moderator:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I smile to myself when i read this. Each machine excels at certain things. A track loader will out work an excavator very quickly if material is moved further than the hoe can reach. I have worked sites where the truck needs to stand off the material due to the lay of the ground. A track loader can GO GET the material from areas where the trucks cant get.

If you are clearing land and the track loader is big enough to just push over brush and small trees it will flat out run circles around an excavator. A hoe is good for point digging and reaching into holes and swinging when trucks can get close. A hoe is better at big stumpin and big tree removal.

Couldn't agree more Georgia Iron.;)

I've said it before and nothing has changed - If I had to choose only one machine to run an excavating company it would be a track loader. One machine to dig, load, carry, demo, clear and grade. I can clear and grubb faster with my 953 than the 321, not even a comparison. However I can't lay storm pipe with the 953, sure you can but you won't make any money at it.

Obviously, there is a need for both in my operation. Each machine is used to the best of it's efficiency. The best combo is a track hoe and a track loader - a good double punch.